Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Canister Pump for Sump setup??

I have a RENA XP2 Canister filter system right now for my 55gal tank. Im curious if I could build a sump system around this pump rather then buying another pump for the sump??

Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might could, but you'll need to be sure than the filter can pull the water from the sump at whatever level it's at and then push the water at the desired flow rate to the tank.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

well currently its pushing approx 6ft up and pulling 6 ft down the way its set up now. Which leads me to believe it can. But it only pumps approx 300 GPH I am thinking it may be a little low for the size tank I have at 55 Gallons. I'm thinking around 500 - 700 GPH would be more efficiant?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're actually siphoning 6 feet down, so you're getting the benfit of air pressure and gravity. Where will the waterline be in relationship to your intake? My fear would be that you might not get a good siphon going.

Are you getting 300 GPH at the 6' head, or is the filter just rated for 300 GPH? 300 GPH may be sufficient for a 55, depending on what you're trying to do. I personally would want more regardless of the application.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

It won't work. Canisters work off gravity, as rutrag noted. They do not suck water in, they only push water up. Using a canister in place of a return pump is a sure way for a failure of some sort.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, pump, setup, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com