canopy finishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjjoseph74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Quick question,

I have a 75 gallon tank with a glass top and pine canopy ontop of it. I am going to install an Ice Cap 660 with 4X110W lamps. I was told that it gets very hot and so I will eventually want to take off the glass to allow better circulation. Question #1: Is that true, will I probably have to take off glass top

I was also told that if I do take off the glass top, then I will want to have the inside of the canopy polyurethaned for 'preservation.' Question #2: What polyurethane do you recommend which will not spark fire under the amount of heat created under the hood?

I would prefer to keep the glass onto of the tank to lessen evaporative loses and reduce the risk of water hitting bulbs and breaking them.

thanks for your help,
KJ

kjjoseph74 said:
Quick question,

I have a 75 gallon tank with a glass top and pine canopy ontop of it. I am going to install an Ice Cap 660 with 4X110W lamps. I was told that it gets very hot and so I will eventually want to take off the glass to allow better circulation. Question #1: Is that true, will I probably have to take off glass top

Yep, I do not use glass tops on my tank, they really don't make the tank hotter, they simply do not allow for evaporation, which is how the tank cools itself. They will also block some of the light you want to get to your light loving inverts.

I was also told that if I do take off the glass top, then I will want to have the inside of the canopy polyurethaned for 'preservation.' Question #2: What polyurethane do you recommend which will not spark fire under the amount of heat created under the hood?

Yeah, the increased evaporation will warp and rot an unfinished canopy in a few months to a year. It is more noticable on canopies over 4ft in length. I personally would paint the inside of the canopy with a white acryllic paint (flat or glossy, makes little difference) this will act a s reflector and put more light into the tank as well as preserve the inside of the canopy. I have never used any finish on the outside, but wouldn't hesitate to use polyurethane, I doubt there would be much differenc in whose, just make sure it will not stain the wood, otherwise it won't match the stand.

I would prefer to keep the glass onto of the tank to lessen evaporative loses and reduce the risk of water hitting bulbs and breaking them.

thanks for your help,

I have had VHO bulbs as close as 1" from the surface of the water, I have never had one break. Evaporation may be a real consideration, but you may find it necessary for either your animals light needs or for the temp to remove them. Either way, I would paint the inside of the canopy to increase the amount of light to the tank. Leave the tops on and see how it works....

Back
Top Bottom