Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2002, 04:03 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
in the widest spot the tank is 18". Im not sure how I want it to open. Considering it is on a 2 foot tall stand and the tank is 2 foot tall, I have to stand on a chair and can barely reach the bottom for cleaning class. with the canopy being a foot tall its gonna make it real difficult. I would say I'd like the front to open, but with the 6 inch ledge on the top (acyrlic tank) that would not do any good either. I may just have to pull the canopy off every time i clean the glass. any ideas are welcome. someone has had to be in this situation before?

Old 12-11-2002, 11:15 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
canopy

Well....what I had in mind was a design similar to the AGA Modern series of canopies. On these, the top is easily removable or it will raise up. No hinges...just a couple of wood blocks. I service two aquariums that have these canopies on them and I think they are a good design. I don't, for the record, think they build them as well as they should, but that's a different subject. Anyway, once you lift the top piece off, you can easily remove the rest of it to gain access to the top of the tank. I'm still working on those plans...they bout killed us at work this week and I didn't have a lot of spare time. If several of us can submit some plans and/or ideas, I think you'll have something to work with anyway.
Logan J

Old 12-11-2002, 11:50 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Thats cool guys. Like I said, no big hurry. I'm just trying to plan ahead, so I'm not going into this project blind. Thanks for all your help and recommendations.
Old 12-17-2002, 04:07 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Im going to be doing my canopy after Xmas with the money I get. So if you guys come up with anything let me know.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:01 AM   #15

Canopy

Micheal,

I have been so busy with the holidays and all, I haven't devoted a lot of time on it, sorry..I will also try to come up with something by the 1st though...

Logan,

I have been out scoping ideas for a canopy for my new 55 gal...I cannot belive my eyes. I have seen absolute $%#@ in the lfs.. If I ran the shops that these stands and canopies are made in, I would fire half of the staff...I have never seen so much shotty work in my life...I wouldn't let most of what I have seen out of my shop looking the way they do. And at $139.00 and higher for a canopy alone, I better see myself in the finish...
I am definately going to build my own and under cut by half of the going prices.. In your comments about AGA, I believe you see what I see...

If you build it, they will see it... He He
Old 12-19-2002, 01:29 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
canopies

Well, the AGA is a fantastic and simple design. If I was building it, it would be put together a lot better though. I don't have anything close to the experience you have with woodworking though. About 50% of the stuff that gets started in my little shop ends up in the wood heater . I'm gonna hold off with any ideas until I see what you come up with for Micheal's canopy. If you build one for your 55, please post the plans for that also...I'd love to see it.
Logan J
Old 12-19-2002, 09:51 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
timbo,

maybe you could get into the canopy making bussiness. Advertise locally first. Maybe show your wares in the LFS and get them to stop stocking the junk and carry your products.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 01:14 PM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Well fellas,

I got enough money for christmas to do my canopy. I plan on starting on it this weekend. If you cant come up with plans by then, thats ok, Ill just wing it.
Old 12-26-2002, 11:38 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Please view the spider reflectors thread for more detail on how I want to build this canopy.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:38 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Well i got started finally. Here are some pics. It looks rough, but once I paint it, seal it, put trim on and retrofit my lighting I should be in good shape. It looks like a coffin now, LOL.

Tags
canopy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com