Canopy repair needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickRummy

Aquarium Advice Activist
On my 65g tank I just got used there is some slight surface damage on the inside of the canopy. The canopy looks to be made of some type of plywood that has been stained. The moisture has started to lift the outside layer of wood to where it can flake off. I don't want that stuff dropping into my tank...

I'm going to be doing a lighting retro so I'm thinking about pulling the canopy, scrubbing off any loose material and then placing a new piece of plywood inside the canopy and fastening it in place. The canopy is still perfectly fine when it comes to structure. I just want to seal up the damage that has been done already.

Can I place the new material inside the canopy and then coat that with some type of water proof paint or epoxy? I don't want to rebuild the canopy since there is no way I could ever match it to the stand.

You can definatley do that. Not sure you really even need to replace anything. maybe just sand the whole inside of it down nice and smooth and coat it with Kilz or something similar (that's what I did).

Well that's encouraging!

I was reading in another thread someone used white acrylic on the underside of their canopy. That really has me thinking as well......

There was no air circulation in the canopy before and I think that really had a lot to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom