Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
What type of skimmer takes a direct intake line?
Does the direct line run to the sump and then to the skimmer? I'm gonna have to buy one to see how they work. My 29g is gonna have way more equipment than it needs just so I can learn for my 150g

Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Haha sorry, I hope that didn't come off wrong, I was actually curious if there was a new one.
Most skimmers are either an in-sump or a HOB. The in-sump ones literally just sit in your sump and the pump takes water directly out. Most people create a whole other section so that sand and stuff doesnt get sucked out of your fuge. IMHO sumps should go something like this. (attached)
There might be some mistakes because i'm at work, rushed, and its almost lunch time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	24150  

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Didn't take it the wrong way...hope you had a great lunch.

I'm watching youtube vids trying to learn a little more about skimmers and installation.

What is a good skimmer for a 150g? And it they break down, do you know if they are easy to repair yourself?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

I have always used ASM skimmers and love them.
ASM G Series P rotein Skimmers
You would be fine with the G-2, but the G-3 isn't that much more expensive if you have the room. They are surprisingly simple, you will get it and ask yourself why you paid so much money for it. But there is a lot of things to take into account, and they are really worth it. Really the only thing you might ever have to replace is the pump if you run it dry, or a new intake.

I hear Octopus is a good brand as well, but you'll have to wait and see if someone else with one chimes in on that.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question

ok, reworked the closed loop. I'm hoping that with a good pump, I won't need PH's. Am I correct in thinking this, or way off base?

If I'm correct then I'm done with all lines running to/from my tank. Now I can start working on the sump design. Plus I'll get to try it out on my 29g and see how it works (just a smaller version).

I'm sooo stoked I don't know if I'll be able to wait to start on the 150g. I was telling my husband last night that it was going to be expensive. But that I was going to buy the equipment as I got the money that way I had everything before we start the installation in Feb 2011. He then told me that I could use the bonus that he gets from work, if he gets one this year. YAY! Hopefully no bills pop up between now and then.

ok, here's what I've got laid out now...

Click image for larger version

Name:	WTsump.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	24171
Old 06-18-2010, 01:20 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by capj64 View Post
ok, reworked the closed loop. I'm hoping that with a good pump, I won't need PH's. Am I correct in thinking this, or way off base?
If you get a good pump its going to help a lot. What matters more with that is how you scape your rock. If what you have now provides good flow to everywhere in your tank, then you should be alright. If not, then you might have to get one or two small ones to stir up the dead spots.

The only other thing im not crazy about is the second return line that goes to the right. That is a really long line, you are probably going to lose a lot of flow. I might run your sump return line to the left of the tank, get rid of the right one, and then have your closed loop return to the bottom two outputs and the right one, and get rid of the left.

I'm not positive though, it all depends on what size pumps you are going to be using, hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable on that area chimes in.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 06-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Each return line will have it's own pump, but doing it the way you just described would save me one pump. Plus less lines Thanks Always liked the second eye, one person can usually see what the other one doesn't.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just checked my email and I got my quote back for the 1/2" starphire glass... wow, big difference from the 1/4" I had quoted the other day.
Without tax, my cost for the 1/4" was $93.41 for two 60 x 24 pieces.
For the 1/2", it's $258.94. hmmm
Old 06-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
I have always used ASM skimmers and love them.
ASM G Series P rotein Skimmers
You would be fine with the G-2, but the G-3 isn't that much more expensive if you have the room. They are surprisingly simple, you will get it and ask yourself why you paid so much money for it. But there is a lot of things to take into account, and they are really worth it. Really the only thing you might ever have to replace is the pump if you run it dry, or a new intake.

I hear Octopus is a good brand as well, but you'll have to wait and see if someone else with one chimes in on that.
Jimbo is offering some good advice here. I used an ASM G4X w/recirc mod on my 120g system and loved the heck out of the skimmer. They are good skimmers for the money.

Octopus skimmers are similar to that of the ASM and are an excellent option.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tagging along.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, cap

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com