capj64's unofficial plywood build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might want to look at some kind of ventilation for your ballasts and lights, that can help a lot with the excess heat.

I planned on leaving the top of the built in cabinets open as much as I can, depends on what I end up with and how well I can afford to waterproof my wall. On the kitchen side of the wall, where all the cabinets and most of the tank will be, I plan to replace all the drywall with cement board. ...I don't want moisture building up.

Lookin good! For your closed loop pump, I would try and find something that you can screw down, and cut a foam insulation piece for between it and that board. The big pumps can rattle and vibrate quite a bit.

Lookin good! For your closed loop pump, I would try and find something that you can screw down, and cut a foam insulation piece for between it and that board. The big pumps can rattle and vibrate quite a bit.

Thanks for the tip :)

Groovy, thanks jimbo :) I've showed my Dad this thread the other day. Hoping he joins...I've asked him to help me with the framing on the wall. He'd never heard of a plywood build...neither had I until I found this forum. Oh, and I asked to borrow all his tools. :) It's August already...

Not to hijack, but for extra help:

If you want to see some really nice Plywood Tanks and ways to build them go to fingerlakesreef.com • Index page. The site overall seems slow but they have a plywood section that has a good bit of activity and people will respond quickly to posts. Your jaw will drop looking at some of the builds people are doing. I'm following an almost 1200 gallon tank right now.

Thanks Smitty, I'm looking at different builds all the time. Trying to learn from others mistakes, so thanks for the link. One thing I've learned is have a very big budget and then expect it to cost more :) I think I'm gonna have to sell a kidney...or two :(

OMG, those tanks are amazing and I've only read three so far. They make my 150g seem soooo small :)

nice planning so far. i'm going to disagree with the others on the refugium light. 6500k is the perfect kelvin for a refugium. you don't want a 10 or 12k lamp because plants don't use that blue light.
fueling nuisance algae is exactly what you are trying to accomplish. chaetomorpha and caulerpa are nuisance algae!

also, i would look into octopus, vertex IN , and bubble magus protein skimmers. these are superior to ASM. ASM was the most efficient skimmer for the money about 5 or 6 years ago. now many other companies are blowing right by them with better construction and more efficient pumps.

i skimmed through this thread and might have missed a thing or two, but i thought i saw the closed loop coming through the bottom of the tank. i would not do this. i would bring the water out through one of the side panels about 3/4 the way up, and the returns i'd have coming over the top. the reason i say to do it this way is because there will be much less things to leak, and also, if the bulkhead leaks on the intake, it won't drain the tank dry before it stops. only the top 1/4 of the tank will be drained.

that 10 gallon fresh water reservoir is probably going to give you about 3 days before you run it dry.

Back
Top Bottom