Cathode moonlights...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've had them working for about a month, and I love it. I bought an adjustable voltage AC inverter. I usually leave it on 12v but it's pretty bright, but has more blue... I find that the less voltage... the less light... then it looks kinda more gray-blue or something... anyway. It's nice... $15 for the cathodes kit online and $18 for the AC inverter. Not bad seeing as how most moonlights you buy retail are $60-$100

have you been able to compare the looks to LED moonlights yet?
I was thinking these might look better then LED's when you first talked about moonlights. was wondering if you have seen and LED setup since putting these up?
yea.. you did save money.. not all DIY turns out that way but score some extra $$$ for you this go round.. :mrgreen:

Hi,

I was just curious how you attached the AC inverter to the cold cathode, and also if you just used a standard cold cathode kit for a computer case? I'm interested in doing something similar, and would like to see how others approached it. Thanks in advance.

Luke

I spliced the AC inverter output into what would be the molex part of the cold cathode kit. I'll try to get some more pics up of it for you. It's pretty easy once I figured it out and found a good cathode kit. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_moonlight.php theres an indepth sort of DIY walkthrough. It's pretty easy to follow. I used a 9v 1200mA cheap AC inverter that only cost me $9 at radio shack for the cathode kit on my 55 gallon and its brighter that the cathodes on my 125 gallon im using an adjustable inverter at 12v 800mA... I think it's because it's 6 foot... I might just get another cathode kit and another AC Inverter... For $15 for the cathode and $9 for the 9v 1200mA inverter... it saves about $50 off the moonlights you buy online... I probably have friends I can get cathode kits from anyway... Me and a lot of my friends play around with computers heh

I'll have pics of my DIY canopy, VHOs, and moonlights maybe by the end of next week.

I bought a led kit on ebay for $23 shipped. This kit included 6 blue leds and the inverter already wired and ready for installation. There was also a led kit for $3 on ebay but you must buy an inverter, and have a soldering gun handy. Not worth it unless you are wanting everything totally DIY. I'd have to go spend about the same for something that wouldn't look as good.

I would like to see these cathode moon lights up close. I had cathodes in my computer case when I had my aluminum chieftec with a full side window. Pimpin out my rig with sound-responsive cathodes, etched fan covers, water cooling, and lighted fan reobus. Sounded and looked like a jet engine taking off. My money is invested better in aquariums :)

You might try putting some electrical tape around the cathode tube...like little strips, so that you can turn up the power to get the blue look, but limit intensity with the tape.

the brightness of cathodes is why most stick with LED's, which aren't as bright, and can be put on a dimmer quite easily without losing color like you note.

Hi all,

So, I took the plunge and went out and bought a 9'' cathode tube and a 9V, 1000 mA AC/DC adapter tonight. Works great in the 45 gallon tank in my bedroom. Thanks for the advice!

Luke

Hi all,

I had another question brought up to me by my mother yesterday that I thought I would share, as I couldn't quite answer straight away. How does different lighting affect fish? I mentioned that my cathode tube was quite bright (a 9'' tube seems to push out enough light to fill my 45 gallon tank); she questioned whether or not that might be damaged to a fish's eyes. My fish don't seem to shy away from being directly under the light; conversely, the tank is four feet long and the light is the aforementioned 9 inches. Just wondering what others thought or have experienced. Thanks for your time.

Luke

as in the lighting is too intense? have you seen SW reef setups? LOL
ok.. all kidding aside the idea is to get moon lighting that is of a light freqency thats near well the light from the moon.. lol..
Im concerned that you think its too intence as does your mother.. thats not the desired effect but its been done before and I have not read of any problems with it as of yet (cold cathode "bright" moonlighting) so as far as I know its safe as far as we know as of yet.. HTH
btw.. you could search for issues about this elsewere becase cold cathode moonlighting is relitivly new to this fourm to the best of my knolege (I brought it up to mrcrazypants05 in chat after reading about it elsewere is why he has it now.. :p )

Back
Top Bottom