Cave making

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frickmiester

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have some flagstone from lowes and a glue gun that I want to use to make a rock structures with caves in it for my fish.

My question is what's the best way to make it?
Is this stone safe to use?
Will hot glue be safe?
Other then boiling the rocks is there anything I need to do?
Any advice or tips would be great.
also if any one has pictures of a good design that would super cool!

I have some flagstone from lowes and a glue gun that I want to use to make a rock structures with caves in it for my fish.

My question is what's the best way to make it?
Is this stone safe to use?
Will hot glue be safe?
Other then boiling the rocks is there anything I need to do?
Any advice or tips would be great.
also if any one has pictures of a good design that would super cool!
You could probably get away without the glue. Just place them CAREFULLY in the tank and make sure they are secure. You don't want one them falling against the glass.. If you really want to 'glue' them, I would use Aquarium silicone or 100% silicone(cheaper) instead. For designs, Google images is a good place to start.. The flagstones, pour some neat vinegar onto it, if it bubbles, then I don't think it's compatible. I'm sure someone else can correct me on that...

The super glue or two part epoxy should be ok and won't hurt my fish? I was going to us the two part stuff but the warning label made me question it

For safety don't boil your rocks! Pour boiling water over them! Basically some rocks can explode if they have air pockets or trapped water.... And I have had flagstone fracture real violently in a fire pit. Personally I pour boiling water over them then scrub them with salt and a clean scrub pad that's been rinsed... don't use any scrub pad that has soap in it!

Ok I will pour water over them there much to large for any pot I have to begin with

Back
Top Bottom