Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow! I like the river rock ones! I may have to try that! Be aware though that the silicone that shows will become more visible underwater (I have no idea why, but it is very annoying). Also, depending on your water, it may turn white after a while. This happened to me when I glued a bunch of lava rock together for retaining walls. Eventually, the white was covered in algea and it is now not really visible at all. The one way that I found to prevent silicone from showing up was to sprinkle sand on the wet silicone and really pack it on.

Another thought...for the slate trapezoid in your pictures...make sure that one is far enough away from your glass that if it collapses it wont hit the glass on it's way down! I had a slate "table" sort of arrangement in my tank once, and the silicone gave out...it just collapased downwards, so no harm done. But if it had hit the glass...

Old 05-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Try a terra cotta (clay) pot. Purchase the size you want, turn it upside down, use a masonary bit of the appropriate size to drill the size of opening you desire (drill a side or enlarge the bottom opening). You can also cut the pot in half using a masonary blade or tile saw (half a pot makes a nice cave). Cover the outside using two part epoxy and sand/gravel. If you want to get really creative, buy some expanding pond foam and use river rock and foam to build structure off of the pot.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbird View Post
Wow! I like the river rock ones! I may have to try that! Be aware though that the silicone that shows will become more visible underwater (I have no idea why, but it is very annoying). Also, depending on your water, it may turn white after a while. This happened to me when I glued a bunch of lava rock together for retaining walls. Eventually, the white was covered in algea and it is now not really visible at all. The one way that I found to prevent silicone from showing up was to sprinkle sand on the wet silicone and really pack it on.

Another thought...for the slate trapezoid in your pictures...make sure that one is far enough away from your glass that if it collapses it wont hit the glass on it's way down! I had a slate "table" sort of arrangement in my tank once, and the silicone gave out...it just collapased downwards, so no harm done. But if it had hit the glass...
Yeah i plan on doing the sand sprinkle as well.. wanted to wait til i was finished, will just add a bit more silicone.. and the slate, has a bottom on it that will sit under the gravel for stability.. I also plan on running anubais nana and baby tears up and around the slate and just some baby tears or java moss on the river rock. Good advice though, thanks.

Tags
cave

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com