Cave / slate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoVic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hell all,
I intend to build my own Cave since i can't find anywhere the picture of one i have in my head !!

I need to use pieces of slate of various sizes bonded together with aquarium sealer.
i need to know what process is required when washing / cleaning the slate. and how will i know when its suitable use and for my Aquarium.

thanks for any help ......

Soak it for a about a week then let it sit in the sun, I've read about baking and boiling but I'm not 100% on if that is best for slate some rocks can explode if it gets too hot. Welcome to AA by the way!

A few drops of vinegar on the rock, if it foams it's bad.

Gently boiling it for several minutes should work. If you're concerned about the rock exploading you can use a heavy duty pot with a heavy lid and don't look inside until it's cooled.

I think my neighbors are way past the stage of asking me what the heck I'm doing lol. I think that ended after they asked me why I was boiling deer antlers I'm my yard.

butterfly_koi said:
I think my neighbors are way past the stage of asking me what the heck I'm doing lol. I think that ended after they asked me why I was boiling deer antlers I'm my yard.

Haha, did you put deer antlers in your tank? That'd be cool to see!

smileyface9 said:
Haha, did you put deer antlers in your tank? That'd be cool to see!

Lol I did at one point, but took them out I was afraid they would start to decay. And that was a rack I didn't wasn't to lose (12 point)

butterfly_koi said:
Lol I did at one point, but took them out I was afraid they would start to decay. And that was a rack I didn't wasn't to lose (12 point)

Nice! That's really cool!!

I've done a mock up of what i want and i must say it looked good, i intend to build the cave properly with the bonding silicon then leave it to soak for 14 days or so ...but yeah I'll post pictures as I'm doing it ;-]]..

Its such a lovely day i thought I'd start my cave building

this is the start of it, its about 29.2cm x 24.1cm

cave1.jpg

taking shape now, I'm useing Gold Label Aqurium Sealer to bond it all togather

cave2.jpg

Here's a Bird's eye view, here theres an idea of the shape

cave3.jpg

i think its starting to look like it should now !! I'm really surprised how strong the Sealer is.

cave4.jpg

more pictures to follow!

More Cave Building

Got to the point where i had to tapper it in to form the roof.

cave5.jpg

All most complete now, just putting the finishing slate to fill the hole on top in

cave6.jpg

That's it! all done. I'm quite pleased how its turned out. the sealer has really bonded it together. now to let the Cave soak for a week or two. then see what the fish make of it !!!

cave7.jpg

it turned out great indeed, i too would be interested in knowing where you got the slate.
thanks

Well the Cave's had five long days in water now I'm really tempted to put the in the tank!!! its a job to know just how long slate need to be in water before its safe for the fish ??
As for the members who would like to know where i got the slate ...... Well i looked everywhere in aquarium stores all over even on the net, then was out shopping with the wife for wallpaper in our local super store ( B &Q here in the UK) and there it was Bags of garden slate plus it only cost me £6 a bag enough for about 10 caves or some other kind of ornament's. it comes in three size's S / M /L, i got the Medium ....... Am i happy .... Yep, I sure am !

I just couldn't wait !! I had to put the Cave in the tank.....

And here it is in all her Glory, I'm not putting any fish in just yet I'll let the Cave customize to the water.

DSCN0015 (Large).jpg

Heres a bit of a closer view, i think once the new plants have had time to grow and establish themselves it'll look even better plus I'm going to get some moss for the wood and Stones

DSCN0016 (Large).jpg

Well thats it Friends i must admit I've enjoyed sharing my "Cave" building with you all :fish2::fish1:

Back
Top Bottom