Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cement leeching

How long does it usually take for cement to stop leeching pH-raising elements into the water? I watched a video and the creator of the video said that he does about 8-10 water changes, but he doesn't say how long he lets the water sit in the tank for before removing it.

I started by doing about 10 "quick" water changes (not letting the water sit in the tank for very long). Since then, I've been letting the water sit in my tank for about a day or two and then removing it (done this about 4 times now), but the pH keeps showing up at 9 or higher! I'm just curious as to how long I'm going to have to wait before I can start re-introducing my fish to their home.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get me up to speed. What did you make with the cement and how much did you use. Did you make rocks, painted it onto something?????

Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I believe this is the same video that i watched on building a 3d background? IMO, i would let it sit under water for a day, then change the water and repeat...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Get me up to speed. What did you make with the cement and how much did you use. Did you make rocks, painted it onto something?????
Sorry I guess that would help. I used polystyrene foam which I molded into the shape of round rocks, and covered these rocks with Quikrete Cement Resurfacer with terra cotta colored Quikrete liquid cement color.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I believe this is the same video that i watched on building a 3d background? IMO, i would let it sit under water for a day, then change the water and repeat...
Thats what I've done about 4-5 times now and I'm just curious as to how many times I'm going to have to do that.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i would just keep doing it until the ph drops back down to what it was... depending on how much concrete you used, it could take a while...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
i would just keep doing it until the ph drops back down to what it was... depending on how much concrete you used, it could take a while...
OK thats what I was figuring. I did four layers of concrete.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just take a PH reading and when it's high then change the water. Are you using SW or FW for this tank?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Just take a PH reading and when it's high then change the water. Are you using SW or FW for this tank?
This will be a FW setup.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make a good water change about once a week and in a couple of weeks it should be okay.

Tags
chi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com