Cement leeching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long does it usually take for cement to stop leeching pH-raising elements into the water? I watched a video and the creator of the video said that he does about 8-10 water changes, but he doesn't say how long he lets the water sit in the tank for before removing it.

I started by doing about 10 "quick" water changes (not letting the water sit in the tank for very long). Since then, I've been letting the water sit in my tank for about a day or two and then removing it (done this about 4 times now), but the pH keeps showing up at 9 or higher! I'm just curious as to how long I'm going to have to wait before I can start re-introducing my fish to their home.

Get me up to speed. What did you make with the cement and how much did you use. Did you make rocks, painted it onto something?????

I believe this is the same video that i watched on building a 3d background? IMO, i would let it sit under water for a day, then change the water and repeat...

Get me up to speed. What did you make with the cement and how much did you use. Did you make rocks, painted it onto something?????

Sorry I guess that would help. I used polystyrene foam which I molded into the shape of round rocks, and covered these rocks with Quikrete Cement Resurfacer with terra cotta colored Quikrete liquid cement color.

I believe this is the same video that i watched on building a 3d background? IMO, i would let it sit under water for a day, then change the water and repeat...

Thats what I've done about 4-5 times now and I'm just curious as to how many times I'm going to have to do that.

i would just keep doing it until the ph drops back down to what it was... depending on how much concrete you used, it could take a while...

Just take a PH reading and when it's high then change the water. Are you using SW or FW for this tank?

Make a good water change about once a week and in a couple of weeks it should be okay.

you can use cement sealer....in my country we call it " blue-bond "...we use it when we made swimming pools to seal the cement from water leaching......so when you use it you dont need to care for ph level.....i did lots of this diy jobs and in 2 days i put it into tank but first you must wash it and brush it under tap water then put it in the tank.
- about the coloring....i prefer to put colors that is made only for cement like the one we use it when we do decoration jobs and you can use this special equation :
1- white cement ( 3 cement / 2 water ).
2- cement colors ( safe for aquarium and swimming pools ).
3- cement sealer "blue-bond" ( anti fungus and bacteria - also safe for aquarium and swimming pools ).
after you finish your job wait to be 100 cure and put it in to box full of water " banio or jakozi or box full of water " and wait 24 hour and then let it dry under the sun for 24 hour and then wash it with water and do some brushing thing to move away all the salt from the surface.

nothing is better than water testing ( ph - nitrite - nitrate - ammonia ...etc ).

Have you tried it with fish. I am asking because you said it has an anti fungus and anit bactria additive in it. It might knock out the much needed bacteria.

water testing

any way my friend....you should test your water to be sure everything is ok.

by the way what fish you have ....it is important ?

+1 on the testing as the only true way to tell if PH is Okay.

fish species

i told you to send me your fish count and species.....cuz the ph level depends on the fish kind.......

i have cichlids at home and the ph is 8 ....so if you have discus for example they will be dead in an hour.....so it is important to send us step by step of what you did....also send us some photo before you put your decoration in the tank.

I don't know this from experience but soaking your rocks overnight in plain, cheap, white vinegar (then rinsing well of course) helps speed up the PH stabilizing process.

I have 2 Angelfish and 2 Pleco's (Common and Bristlenose). I have since reintroduced them back into their tank with new background and all. I got to the point where the pH exhibited noticeable increases at around the 4 day mark. I figured if I just remained diligent with the water changes around this 4 day mark for a couple of weeks, I should be able to eventually get back on the regular water change schedule relatively soon.

A good tip but not pratical for something as large as a DIY cement background/wall.
Would be to put it in the back of your toilet.
Just make sure you can still flush it properly.
You would cycle the water as many times as you flush your toilet

Back
Top Bottom