Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I noticed shrimp in the pic and video; any of them ever get trapped in the reactor? Also, would larger bubbles (no airstone) work with this setup? I am thinking that bubble size does not determine the amount of turbulence. Not sure if it would be noisier or quieter. I do like the idea of moving media.
I just set up this reactor so, at the moment, no baby shrimps have been trapped inside the filter yet. Most of the shrimp seem to shy away from it since they see the fast movement of the media.

I've seen some kaldnes reactors which use just airline tubing with no stone but they have multiple airlines entering the reactor. I think it will be noisier because the bubbles are much bigger. I think it's worth a try.

Berylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about this, your idea is perfect but right above the holes and below the airstone maybe add an AC sponge (put a hole through the center after you cut it so its snug inside the bottle, push the line through and add the airstone and then squeeze it in the bottle) so it helps filter and the reactor is still in play? I'm not even sure if I made sense

Old 02-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
What about this, your idea is perfect but right above the holes and below the airstone maybe add an AC sponge (put a hole through the center after you cut it so its snug inside the bottle, push the line through and add the airstone and then squeeze it in the bottle) so it helps filter and the reactor is still in play? I'm not even sure if I made sense
Yes, I think I see where you are going with this. I'm thinking this too- how about taking the top off the bottle, squeezing in a sponge so that it's flush with the sides of the bottle, make a hole so that the airline can go through. If you have a powerful enough air pump, this should be enough to pull water through the sponge. I think I'm going to try this with my next reactor.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berylla View Post

Yes, I think I see where you are going with this. I'm thinking this too- how about taking the top off the bottle, squeezing in a sponge so that it's flush with the sides of the bottle, make a hole so that the airline can go through. If you have a powerful enough air pump, this should be enough to pull water through the sponge. I think I'm going to try this with my next reactor.
You have to video it again!!! I love ideas!!!! But my wife goes "oh god what this time" when I have an idea Haha
Old 02-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
You have to video it again!!! I love ideas!!!! But my wife goes "oh god what this time" when I have an idea Haha
Yes, I'll try making one this weekend. Just got some great sponge material from Angelsplus.com. DIY rocks!!

Tags
cheap, diy, filter, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com