Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cheap and Easy DIY Kaldnes Moving Bed Filter

I made this video about my new, cheap and easy, Kaldnes moving bed filter. You can see it here:

DIY Kaldnes Media Filter

I also have a step-by-step guide here:

DIY Kaldnes Media Aquarium Filter - A Step-By-Step Guide

Berylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nice concept. Is for a breeding tank or main tank?

Old 02-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This filter can be used in any fish tank. The one I made is small using a small water bottle. I love how easy it is to make a simple reactor.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think it would be great to get a large piece of black PVC and cut it down to make a corner box filter using this same methodology.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I think it would be great to get a large piece of black PVC and cut it down to make a corner box filter using this same methodology.
Most Kaldnes reactors I've seen are transparent so that you can see the action inside so that you can check to see if there is good movement inside the reactor. The larger the reactor, the more airstones are required to move the media around.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice, I like the idea and I may make a small one and give it a try
Old 02-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Very nice, I like the idea and I may make a small one and give it a try
I'm really happy with mine and it's so small that it doesn't take up too much room in my 29G.

I plant to make a larger one using a big Disani water bottle for my 45G and retire my sponge filter. It's not noisy at all too. I thought I would hear the movement of the media in the bottle but you only hear the bubbling from the air pump.

What I like about it is that I no extra money making this first reactor since I had all the materials already kicking around in from past purchases.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berylla View Post

Most Kaldnes reactors I've seen are transparent so that you can see the action inside so that you can check to see if there is good movement inside the reactor. The larger the reactor, the more airstones are required to move the media around.
Yep, and that makes perfect sense. Doing it the way I suggested would give you a good viewing window at the side of the tank and keep everything out of sight. Just brainstorming on ways to make it stand out less so people could find more practical use in a display tank since moving media in the tank like that would bug people.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Yep, and that makes perfect sense. Doing it the way I suggested would give you a good viewing window at the side of the tank and keep everything out of sight. Just brainstorming on ways to make it stand out less so people could find more practical use in a display tank since moving media in the tank like that would bug people.
Oh I see! Yes, you are right. The media moving around is very distracting but for now, I really like watching it move and I placed it in the front of my tank. My kids love it too. It's very mesmerizing and calming.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I noticed shrimp in the pic and video; any of them ever get trapped in the reactor? Also, would larger bubbles (no airstone) work with this setup? I am thinking that bubble size does not determine the amount of turbulence. Not sure if it would be noisier or quieter. I do like the idea of moving media.

Tags
cheap, diy, filter, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com