Cheap and Easy DIY Kaldnes Moving Bed Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berylla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
IMG_2412.jpg

I made this video about my new, cheap and easy, Kaldnes moving bed filter. You can see it here:

DIY Kaldnes Media Filter

I also have a step-by-step guide here:

DIY Kaldnes Media Aquarium Filter - A Step-By-Step Guide

This filter can be used in any fish tank. The one I made is small using a small water bottle. I love how easy it is to make a simple reactor.

I think it would be great to get a large piece of black PVC and cut it down to make a corner box filter using this same methodology.

I think it would be great to get a large piece of black PVC and cut it down to make a corner box filter using this same methodology.

Most Kaldnes reactors I've seen are transparent so that you can see the action inside so that you can check to see if there is good movement inside the reactor. The larger the reactor, the more airstones are required to move the media around.

Very nice, I like the idea and I may make a small one and give it a try

I'm really happy with mine and it's so small that it doesn't take up too much room in my 29G.

I plant to make a larger one using a big Disani water bottle for my 45G and retire my sponge filter. It's not noisy at all too. I thought I would hear the movement of the media in the bottle but you only hear the bubbling from the air pump.

What I like about it is that I no extra money making this first reactor since I had all the materials already kicking around in from past purchases.

Most Kaldnes reactors I've seen are transparent so that you can see the action inside so that you can check to see if there is good movement inside the reactor. The larger the reactor, the more airstones are required to move the media around.

Yep, and that makes perfect sense. Doing it the way I suggested would give you a good viewing window at the side of the tank and keep everything out of sight. Just brainstorming on ways to make it stand out less so people could find more practical use in a display tank since moving media in the tank like that would bug people.

Yep, and that makes perfect sense. Doing it the way I suggested would give you a good viewing window at the side of the tank and keep everything out of sight. Just brainstorming on ways to make it stand out less so people could find more practical use in a display tank since moving media in the tank like that would bug people.

Oh I see! Yes, you are right. The media moving around is very distracting but for now, I really like watching it move and I placed it in the front of my tank. My kids love it too. It's very mesmerizing and calming.

I noticed shrimp in the pic and video; any of them ever get trapped in the reactor? Also, would larger bubbles (no airstone) work with this setup? I am thinking that bubble size does not determine the amount of turbulence. Not sure if it would be noisier or quieter. I do like the idea of moving media.

I noticed shrimp in the pic and video; any of them ever get trapped in the reactor? Also, would larger bubbles (no airstone) work with this setup? I am thinking that bubble size does not determine the amount of turbulence. Not sure if it would be noisier or quieter. I do like the idea of moving media.

I just set up this reactor so, at the moment, no baby shrimps have been trapped inside the filter yet. Most of the shrimp seem to shy away from it since they see the fast movement of the media.

I've seen some kaldnes reactors which use just airline tubing with no stone but they have multiple airlines entering the reactor. I think it will be noisier because the bubbles are much bigger. I think it's worth a try.

What about this, your idea is perfect but right above the holes and below the airstone maybe add an AC sponge (put a hole through the center after you cut it so its snug inside the bottle, push the line through and add the airstone and then squeeze it in the bottle) so it helps filter and the reactor is still in play? I'm not even sure if I made sense

What about this, your idea is perfect but right above the holes and below the airstone maybe add an AC sponge (put a hole through the center after you cut it so its snug inside the bottle, push the line through and add the airstone and then squeeze it in the bottle) so it helps filter and the reactor is still in play? I'm not even sure if I made sense

Yes, I think I see where you are going with this. I'm thinking this too- how about taking the top off the bottle, squeezing in a sponge so that it's flush with the sides of the bottle, make a hole so that the airline can go through. If you have a powerful enough air pump, this should be enough to pull water through the sponge. I think I'm going to try this with my next reactor.

Yes, I think I see where you are going with this. I'm thinking this too- how about taking the top off the bottle, squeezing in a sponge so that it's flush with the sides of the bottle, make a hole so that the airline can go through. If you have a powerful enough air pump, this should be enough to pull water through the sponge. I think I'm going to try this with my next reactor.

You have to video it again!!! I love ideas!!!! But my wife goes "oh god what this time" when I have an idea Haha

You have to video it again!!! I love ideas!!!! But my wife goes "oh god what this time" when I have an idea Haha

Yes, I'll try making one this weekend. Just got some great sponge material from Angelsplus.com. DIY rocks!!

Back
Top Bottom