Cheap DIY Bio-Media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanchezkk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to use homemade Bio Media. I'd like to house the media in my HOB Filter. I read an idea for media .... Toy Army Men! What do you guys think?

It works, but honestly most things will work, but it wouldn't harm anything to do it for novelty's sake.

Considering that a HOB doesn't have much biomedia space compared to a sump, I'd just get something that is very porous like ceramic media or even old filter carbon.

sanchezkk said:
I would like to use homemade Bio Media. I'd like to house the media in my HOB Filter. I read an idea for media .... Toy Army Men! What do you guys think?

Lava rock too I believe :)

bio wheels work pretty well , also carbon breaks down and releases toxins after awhile , I know a lot of people use plastic pot scrubbers as bio media

Link119 said:
What is wrong with using the bio wheel?

From what I understand the bio wheel is not the best idea. To get the best nitrifying bacteria the media needs to be completely submerged to be advantageous to a tank. The wheel is out of the water being showered with water but not allowing any of the good bacteria to grow and develop.

sanchezkk said:
From what I understand the bio wheel is not the best idea. To get the best nitrifying bacteria the media needs to be completely submerged to be advantageous to a tank. The wheel is out of the water being showered with water but not allowing any of the good bacteria to grow and develop.

Biowheels work great. They were developed in part by the same guy that produced biospira. The media only needs to be wet, the oxygenating effect actually makes it a huge attraction for bb.

+1...Emperor 400 w/2 Biowheels work great. A simple modification of the extra media tray can turn it into an even better filter by bubbling air through the 2 extra trays filled with ceramic bio media. Check out the DIY project.

The secret here is surface area. Ceramics are porous and give lots of sites for bacteria to populate. Since Nitrifying bacteria is aerobic, aeration is also key.

I placed ceramic rings/cylinders in the extra media tray. I wanted to add more in the space between the extra media tray and the filter output but I did not want to just drop them in loosely.

So I tied fishing line to one of them and threaded the line through additional rings enough to make a total length of 1-1.5 feet. I then fed the rings into the filter. The top most ring sits at or slightly above water level and this "rig" makes media removal very convenient, especially in vertical spaces.

Back
Top Bottom