Cheap Fittings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

incloud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a great deal on a 65 gallon tank used on Craigslist ($50). After putting together a list on BRS, plumbing the tank with schedule 80 (Gray) and bit to drill glass and so on comes out to $200. At that price, I could have got a brand new tank with overflow built in already. Anyway, just trying to drill the holes and plumb the overflow and return. I found this place online for pvc fittings and wondered if anyone has used them or any other for reasonably priced gray pvc fittings. I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions. I will place most of my order with BRS, just trying to keep the cost down as this is a budget upgrade from my 46 Bow. Thanks in advance!

I have no experience with that particular vendor and I don't know where you are, but the price of fittings from local sources is not much higher, add the costs of "shipping and handling," shipping errors, possible returns for correct items, waiting for the items, and the dreaded "item out of stock-back ordered", you might be better off buying locally.

It's the hole drilling that concerns me. We can hope the glass is not tempered. Take a look here for info on that; Terrible Advice Tuesdays (T.A.Tues): The Secret To Drilling Tempered Glass?

Also here, Diamond Drill Bit Use - Large Selection - - SAVE!
site of diamond drill seller, scroll almost to bottom until you see, in BOLD blue,
"Drilling Tempered Glass - Not Recommended Tempered glass can http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/How-To-Drill-Tile-Glass-Stone.shtmlbe drilled, however, breakage may run as high as 80% to 90% depending upon the degree of temper in the glass. We do not recommend trying to drill tempered glass."

Just below that is advice on Aquarium Glass Drilling.

And in this forum;

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/glass-hole-drilling-256331.html

Back
Top Bottom