Cheap micron filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teamgs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings,
I found a relatively inexpensive micron filter in response to my need to get rid of green algae.

Initially, I purchased a 295GPH powerhead and a Hagen Quick Filter attachment, which I had read here worked well to filter algae. Unfortunately, the filter was no where near fine enough to remove the small algae, so I went looking for another type. I found one at Lowes, of all places!

Standard Capacity Replacement Filter

It is a 2 micron filter, and is sold in two packs for $10. It fits directly onto the power head, and all I had to do was plug the other end. I used a large cork.

The filter is really fine, and lowers the flow of the powerhead by probably 80% or more, but in 2 days, my 90G tank was crystal clear! I still have another unused filter for the next time, but I think that with some reverse water pressure, I can clean the used filter.

Total cost was $25 for the powerhead and $10 for the filters.

Regards,

Gary

I was very surprised myself. I have been fighting green water for probably 5 weeks now. My daughter is very happy that she can see the fish now. :D

The openings of the filter are larger than a standard cork size, so bear that in mind when getting it. I also tried simply duct taping the opening, and it worked for a day before it pulled loose.

Regards,

Gary

some things duct tape just can't fix lol I read somewhere on the interent about a guy who duct taped the side of a fish tank to stop a leak. he went on vacation and came home to a totally drained tank LOL

Great Idea!

What a great idea....I'm jealous that I didn't think of it myself. I'll be using this tip myself many times. THANKS for a super tip!

Back
Top Bottom