Checking for leaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbeeh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just bought a used 55 gal tank. Have had it filled with water without leaks for 24 hours. How long should I continue to check this tank for leaks?

Most people do 24-48 hrs. I've seen some go a whole week though. A few days won't hurt unless you need to put something in it immediately. Waiting beats cleaning up 55 gallons of water off the floor.

Chances are that a leak will show within a day, but there is never a guarantee, even with a new tank, that a leak won't show a few weeks or months later. It is important that when leak testing the tank be placed on a level flat surface, same as in a final setup. Torquing a tank can cause a seal or even glass failure.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will wait another day longer. Longer never hurts.

Even waiting more than 48hrs can sometimes be not enough... I resealed a 55g i got for free off Craigslist.. been up for a lil over 2 months.. and saw a very slow drip leak start last-night. luckily its only 1 drop per 10-60 mins, but now i gotta find a replacement tank since i don't want to have to crowd all my fishies for at least a week in my 30g quarantine tank while i reseal the 55...
Anyways, my point is always be prepared for it to eventually leak (keep some 5g buckets at hand and try to save up enough money to buy replacement items just incase).

Back
Top Bottom