Chiller but no cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antimoine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so it's going to get hot around here in the next few weeks and since I have tanks requiring temps below 24 c I decided to make a chiller.

But I need help. I do not have a cooler or a fridge to cool down the water but I already have a overpowerful pump and tubings and a sound proof box to install the thing in.

The question is : Does anyone have an idea how to cool the water without a fridge. I already thought about placing a coil in a bucket of iced water or something.

Any idea is welcomed.

Iced water could work.

Have you tried evaporative cooling? This is usually good for a few degrees.

If you have a well, you could run a closed loop down there. My old high school apparently now uses a ground water cooling system.

As far as the frig is conserned.. its not desinged to handle that heat load.. the compressor might be undersized or the refigerant charge would be too low (or a combination of both).
If I was serious about building a phase-change cooling system for a tank I would nab a deep feeze compressor from the junk yard and build a system based off it (propane is a good cheap, availible without a licence refegerant that has more then enough capasity) but this type of indevor takes alot of reaserch (part of the reason Ive been absent lately, I stumbled across some phase-change material online)

A ground loop or well loop would work well, but evaporative cooling would be the most sensable option given the lack of specialized knolege/skill to emplement.. dskidmore's advice is right on track :)

Back
Top Bottom