Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Chiller Idea

So its hot weather time at home, i just got new fish, i am still a bit panicky about the fact that my temps are getting at 84°F or more during the day, (where i live temperatures dont drop too much at night (at least not this time of year).. i got a pair of idle hands and mind, and my job is becoming less of a creative engineering enviroment each day

so, from 84°F - 86°F watertemp to... who knows where this little adventure will get us.

I was thinking of the following (sorry no pics yet, just the idea):

1 styrofoam icebox (new)
1 or 2 CPU Fans (i got a few laying around)
1 small/cheap or used (never to be used again as such) water heater
a couple of feet (or meters in my case) of aquarium safe clear tubing
1 water fountain pump (or smaller if available)
icetrays maybe?
power supply?... ill wing it, i have a couple of electronics laying around i can bust open while making the rest of the stuff

the idea is to make a mini cooling tower, the way this should work is to setup the water input ("hot end") at the top and onto a tray system that will eventually scatter the water and have it drip down as "rainfall"

around the center (or top if the "tray" system allows for good airflow) of one of the icebox faces i would place the fans, ( air extraction only)

and on the bottom would be my pump and some sort of water reservoir,

now this system would be controlled through a signal sent by the thermostat in the water heater (which i would disable to work as such, keeping only the on/off elements)... and i should also have some sort of reservoir level control into that just so my pump does'nt operate on empty and gets damaged on the process.

sounds fairly simple for starters, but id like someone elses opinion, specially id like some input on the use of the "new" styrofoam icebox, would it be safe to use for fishtank water? (i assume it would be safe to drink out of it)

i promise to share and document all the steps "if and when" i get to do this project

When i was little i remeber having a fishtank or two wich i kind of took care of and then i got a doggie and my fishtanks went bye bye, as i got older i decided to get back on the Fish caring bussiness.. ...This is my tank
killrsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Ill dont think ill ever need a chiller where i am but it sounds interesting and im very interested to see how it works

jbird79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Interesting, following.
10 gallon planted RCS thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ferrerid=36544

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote

chi, chiller

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com