Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cinder Block?????

okay, so i am setting up an african cichlid tank and i found some cinder blocks over where someone just tore down a house. the holes in the cinder blocks would make great caves for the cichlids. i know you have to soak the concrete but i was wondering how long, its only half of a piece that i want to use so its not much. it rains a lot here so i was wondering if that would contribute to having already cured the block. i would like to put the block in within the next few days but i wanted to get more info first. i probably wont get the fish for quite a while. but i want to set up the tank. i have it soaking in a 10 gallon bucket right now and i plan on adding vinegar if that will make it lower the ph? so if i keep it soaking in water/vinegar for a couple of days should it be okay to put in my tank?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readysetcali
okay, so i am setting up an african cichlid tank and i found some cinder blocks over where someone just tore down a house. the holes in the cinder blocks would make great caves for the cichlids. i know you have to soak the concrete but i was wondering how long, its only half of a piece that i want to use so its not much. it rains a lot here so i was wondering if that would contribute to having already cured the block. i would like to put the block in within the next few days but i wanted to get more info first. i probably wont get the fish for quite a while. but i want to set up the tank. i have it soaking in a 10 gallon bucket right now and i plan on adding vinegar if that will make it lower the ph? so if i keep it soaking in water/vinegar for a couple of days should it be okay to put in my tank?
I wouldn't put any concrete in my tank. there is a lot of lime and other bad chemicals in there.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quikrete is often used in DIY background projects, making ponds or making your own holey rock projects. Quikrete is a concrete mix. Once cured, it is perfectly safe for aquarium use.

Whether or not it has the same properties as a cinderblock I couldn't tell you. I would suggest googling the components to see if there is anything dangerous that might leach out even after curing.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not just coat it in a nice layer of silicone? It would take away sharp edges and make it definitely aquarium safe!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com