Cinder Block?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readysetcali

Aquarium Advice Regular
okay, so i am setting up an african cichlid tank and i found some cinder blocks over where someone just tore down a house. the holes in the cinder blocks would make great caves for the cichlids. i know you have to soak the concrete but i was wondering how long, its only half of a piece that i want to use so its not much. it rains a lot here so i was wondering if that would contribute to having already cured the block. i would like to put the block in within the next few days but i wanted to get more info first. i probably wont get the fish for quite a while. but i want to set up the tank. i have it soaking in a 10 gallon bucket right now and i plan on adding vinegar if that will make it lower the ph? so if i keep it soaking in water/vinegar for a couple of days should it be okay to put in my tank?

Readysetcali said:
okay, so i am setting up an african cichlid tank and i found some cinder blocks over where someone just tore down a house. the holes in the cinder blocks would make great caves for the cichlids. i know you have to soak the concrete but i was wondering how long, its only half of a piece that i want to use so its not much. it rains a lot here so i was wondering if that would contribute to having already cured the block. i would like to put the block in within the next few days but i wanted to get more info first. i probably wont get the fish for quite a while. but i want to set up the tank. i have it soaking in a 10 gallon bucket right now and i plan on adding vinegar if that will make it lower the ph? so if i keep it soaking in water/vinegar for a couple of days should it be okay to put in my tank?

I wouldn't put any concrete in my tank. there is a lot of lime and other bad chemicals in there.

Quikrete is often used in DIY background projects, making ponds or making your own holey rock projects. Quikrete is a concrete mix. Once cured, it is perfectly safe for aquarium use.

Whether or not it has the same properties as a cinderblock I couldn't tell you. I would suggest googling the components to see if there is anything dangerous that might leach out even after curing.

Why not just coat it in a nice layer of silicone? It would take away sharp edges and make it definitely aquarium safe!

Back
Top Bottom