Cinder block stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

duckdog

Aquarium Advice Regular
How safe do you think the cinder block stand idea is? I was only worried of one thing if bumbped from the side it may fall over am I just over worrying? The stand consists of 3 or 4 cinder blocks on each end 3 2 x 4's on the flat then plywood to cover them this is for my 55gal tank thank you in advance

I really wouldn't suggest it. Other than falling over, cinder blocks have a tendency to shatter if they get tapped wrong, like by a vacuum cleaner. Had a friend loose a TV set that way. Would hate to think of the mess a fish tank would make.

Don't worry. Years ago in college I used blocks and 3/4" plywood for stands. I would put two 4" tall blocks (4"x8"x16") on the floor spaced the length of a 55 gallon tank. Then a piece of plywood covering the blocks. Then 3 additional blocks stacked on top of the bottom block/plywood shelf. The top was finished off with another piece of plywood. The whole thing was painted black so it didn't look too bad. I could put a 55 on top and a small tank or junk on the bottom shelf. I "sanded" the blocks smooth so they would stack better by rubbing them on the concrete driveway before painting.
Blocks will hold up your house, an aquarium is no problem if the load is distributed. R

concrete block is more solid then cynder block (there is a differnce beleve it or not) and you really would have to hit it with a hammer to bust it.. I wouldnt suggest stacking them on there side though..

cinder blocks i don't trust, solid blocks or even the big huge chimny blocks work good, once i went to friends house who bought an aquarium and he was gonna makea stand he said, i go over there he has 2 pieces of 1/2 particle board cut into triangles and another piece as the top drilled and srewed to the wall to hold up a 55 gallon tank lol i made him take it down and burn it when i saw it lol

i prefer milkcrates instead with a sheet of 3/4 in of plywood across atleast the dimensions of the base of the tank. The crates "lock" in place so wall fall over, sturdy, and last under the tank in my basement for many years and still standing without even showing any stress or problems. the tank here has,

3 crates high on each side, (6 total) and 1 piece of plywood 3/4inch

Like stated previously, don't use cinder blocks. We built the basement of our house with them 4 years ago and went through at least 1/10 of the final number used just because they got set down wrong or bumped wrong by another block. Sometimes I swear it was just because you looked at it funny.

EIDT: Sorry, tired and didn't look at topic date. Your problem is probably solved by now and not an issue at all. I apologize.

Back
Top Bottom