Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
you stay at those quite often.. frequent sleeper discount?
Who says I sleep?

Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Who says I sleep?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
No problem, just use the computer to program it then it will run on it's own, with a battery back up in case of power loss.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am getting my BS in EE and use expresspcb all the time to build circuits. Expresspcb is very easy to use. You just drag parts around and add traces. When done, you click on a box that lets you directly order the boards. A few days later and you have them at your door. They drill the hole and cut the traces for you. You then solder the parts onto the board. You can even go pro and have silk screening and solder mask added. Very high quality!

Matt
Old 05-05-2010, 01:00 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya I was more looking for the Circuit design... like the parts that I will need for a certain function... I already know how to piece the boards together I just don't know the components I will need... I just need like 10 min of a professionals time... and am willing to pay :-p
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im guessing this is some sort of control system for your tank? Things will depend on whether you are going to have an external controller (laptop or desktop ect) send output from a program to switches or if you want a microcontroller to be on board with the switches. Im guessing you are going to want a microprocessor to be on board along with the switches it will control?

If you post some details such as what it should do, and how, I am sure others here with some better experience will chime in. You will need someone to write a program and load it to a microprocessor for one.

Matt
Old 05-05-2010, 02:08 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm looking for a switching board that will switch on/off things in order but really I would like to talk to someone about it... I'm willing to phone anywhere in the world... someone... anyone
Old 05-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I sent one in to an online circuit consulting service and am waiting on a quote to have one made for me... but I would still prefer to talk to someone as they say it will be up to 2 weeks before I get a response.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like a good job for a simple microcontroller. I dont have much experience with microcontrollers yet. (Still working on that degree ) Sounds like a neat LED lighting display for an aquarium.

Depending on how complex you want to make things, you could get by with a microcontroller turning on and off LEDs via some transistors. The hard part would be writing the code. (well if you have no experience with that).

Any other EE folks here? You may want to take this to another forum. I am a member over at 4hv.org. Lots of EEs and computer programmers over there. Youll likely get free advice if you give a bit more details, or you can easily find several eager EEs willing to do it for a price.

Matt
Old 05-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know you really just want to talk to someone offline about the idea and won't elaborate on your super secret project - I may be slow sometimes, but even *I* figured that much out! But have you looked in to the abilities of something like Neptune Systems Apex AquaController? If you put your thinking cap on, there's not much you can't do/control with that unit. It is probably quicker and easier to use it as a controller to test out whatever it is you're thinking of. And then if things pan out and you want to market whatever it is commercially, you can then worry about getting custom stuff made and lowering your costs. My nickel's worth...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com