clearseal enquiry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliver moggridge

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi i got a clearseal fishtank its 18 X 12 X 12. theres two small strips of glass going across the top of both sides of the bigger payns i was wondering if i could take one of them off beacause ide like to put a hang on back filter but the glass is restricting. would it effect the glass if i take it off?

Attachments

• 20082009535.jpg
    20082009535.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 94
IMO i wouldn't think it would. It looks like it is just siliconed on and not supporting anything. I would wait and get a second opinion but i would say no.

cool anyone else got any ideas? the guy in the shop said it was to keep its rigidity but i cant see it doing anything realy?

you could always call the helpline for the product? see if its essential to the tanks structure?

That's probably there to keep the tank from bowing, I wouldn't touch it until I called the manufacturer.

It is there to brace the glass. I can't immagine why a tank that small needs a brace. How thick is the glass?
I agree with you which is the reason why I question it even more. The only thing I can think of is that it's not tempered glass.

Just in case you don't have it already.

Clear-Seal Ltd
38-40 Cherrywood Rd
Bordesley Green
Birmingham
B9 4UD

Tel 0121 771 0249
Tel 0121 771 0266
Fax 0121 771 0059

Email
web@clearseal.com

Yes, I'm late to the thread here, but my clearseal tank is the same. I *think* the only reason the glass is there is so you can rest a hood of some sort on top of it. Otherwise I can't think what it is for.

It's definitely *not* for bracing the tank as on either side the glass 'shelf' starts a good inch away from the edge of the tank and then runs along the back and front and then stops an inch away from the other side, so it couldn't possibly have any structural function.

That is a Eurobrace .... it is there to prevent the glass from bowing out under water pressure. <And it does not have to extend from end to end to do the job ...> N. American tanks tend to have wide plastic stripe on the top trim frame for the same purpose.

At 18" the brace is prob. not that necessary ... you normally only brace long tanks like 36" or 48" & over .... but do check with the manufacturer, as they might use thinner glass in the panes & add a brace to compensate.

That is a Eurobrace .... it is there to prevent the glass from bowing out under water pressure. <And it does not have to extend from end to end to do the job ...> N. American tanks tend to have wide plastic stripe on the top trim frame for the same purpose.

At 18" the brace is prob. not that necessary ... you normally only brace long tanks like 36" or 48" & over .... but do check with the manufacturer, as they might use thinner glass in the panes & add a brace to compensate.

Thanks, that makes some sense! It's good to know what they are for!

Back
Top Bottom