Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks good...I never thought about using cd containers for anything really...I'm still on the wall with the whole CO2 thing, so I won't comment on the workings, but I do have a question...Is copper pipe / tubing safe to use ????

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by redswi
Looks good...I never thought about using cd containers for anything really...I'm still on the wall with the whole CO2 thing, so I won't comment on the workings, but I do have a question...Is copper pipe / tubing safe to use ????
Good question on the copper.

My thought on using copper? The water comes into my house through copper lines. I cant see this being much different. If someone sees an issue that I am unaware of, by all means, speak up.

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

There really shouldn't be any problem with copper pipe, but PVC should be much cheaper. Even buying two pieces rather than pinching down should be cheaper. Copper prices are currently through the roof still. It's not as bad as before when people considered using stainless steel instead of copper, because it was actually cheaper.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The biggest issue with the copper is that if any of it leaches into the water you can say goodbye to your inverts (shrimp, snails, etc).
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotheragentm
There really shouldn't be any problem with copper pipe, but PVC should be much cheaper. Even buying two pieces rather than pinching down should be cheaper. Copper prices are currently through the roof still. It's not as bad as before when people considered using stainless steel instead of copper, because it was actually cheaper.
I had the copper left over from my bathroom remodel. Had I not used that, I probably would have opted for melting the section of tubing and pressing the end closed. Then heating a screwdriver or something similar to melt holes into the pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrbox
The biggest issue with the copper is that if any of it leaches into the water you can say goodbye to your inverts (shrimp, snails, etc).
Did you say snails? Maybe copper is a good thing.

As for this thing working, I am running the equivilant of six 2-liter bottles into it. Most is getting used up. There are some very tiny bubbles that get by it. Not alot though. And accoding to the test I took a bit ago, I have 48ppm Co2!

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

i like the idea, but my tank probably would do with something a little thinner.... maybe like a baby bottle with the top taken off...
Old 03-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mine is a hamster water bottle with a hole drilled through the side... I currently have a Hagen AquaClear 30 powerhead set on the lowest flow, fed through it for the vortex..., and the air fed through the venturi. I might be needing a slower pump, like a Hagen AC20 or 10.
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Just to add to the copper thing.. It will also kill Val. and some other plants. In fact, if you have a tree you want to kill (keeps sprouting new shoots up). drive a couple of copper nails into it.. This is handy for trees trying to grow through a patio or deck (and you had to remove the tree/bush to put it in)..

PVC fittings would be recommended over copper, especially when injecting Co2 (which increases the acidity of the water and may accelerate the leeching effect).

Good design nonetheless.

Tags
co2, diffuser, updated

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com