Co2 Diffuser (CD container - Updated 3/4/07)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this probably wont match up to one of those "whirlpool" type DIY diffusers, but here is my take on a diffuser. Do I have the principal down? Anything I am doing wrong with it? Improvements?
diffuserzc0.gif

Thanks!

EDIT:
Built with a CD container in reply below.

Looks fine all you need to include is a check valve to keep the water from siphoning back to the CO2, I would want a prefilter for the submersible pump also. I would look at connecting the pump directly to the diffuser and skip the tubing but that is a personal preference. I don't want equipment to ever be the noticeable stuff in a tank. I also would insert some sort of media like coarse floss in the base of the diffusor to help limit he amount of CO2 that may get blown out the bottom of the diffuser.

One that I made. Not as nice as your initial drawings but has worked flawlessly to date.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=78921&highlight=diy+diffsor

leoslizards said:
Nice diagram. What app did you use to make the pic? Here's one of my diagrams for a DIY auto top-off system. I used MS Paint.
I am a land surveyor and have access to AutoCad through work. I drew it using the cad program, did a "Print Screen" and pasted it into a graphics app to add the text and reduce the filesize. Took all of 10 minutes.

A couple of thoughts:

. Are you showing that the pump will draw all of it's suction out of the plastic jar? If so, where does the jar get the water to replenish what has been taken out?

The plastic jar you show would normally be used as a surge tank so that in the event a slug of liquid (water, yeast, sugar, and alcohol) makes it's way into the tube, it will fall into the jar and not be pushed into the tank. Using that jar for a surge tank, you would not normally put the diffuser where you show it. Typically you would continue the same size tubing from the surge tank to the aquarium, there is where you would connect the diffuser so that you make as small a bubble as you can. This is positioned so that those little bubbles make their way into the inlet of the pump that is simply acting as a circulating pump for the aquarium. The pump impeller would then tear apart the bubbles and disperse them throughout the tank.

SparKy697 said:
A couple of thoughts:

. Are you showing that the pump will draw all of it's suction out of the plastic jar? If so, where does the jar get the water to replenish what has been taken out?

No. The pump is one of those small submersible pumps that pull water in from the sides of the unit and pushes the outflow through the pipe and into the jar.

As for the possibility of contaminating my tank with yeast solution, it is unlikely. I used a surge tank (larger that the reactor) inline between the reactor and the diffuser (the plastic jar is the bell). The surge tank would have to fill completely before solids could get into the tank. Yes, water from the tank has been know to siphon back and cause problems. However, I have 2 checkvalves installed. One between the reactor and the surge tank. And another between the surge tank and the diffuser.

Hope it makes more sense now. I guess I could update that pic and give a better idea. I just threw that one together in about ten minutes.

(the plastic jar is the bell).

My mistake. That makes much better sense. I totally missed that the jar had no bottom. This should work nicely.

I have had luck with the limewood type "air stones" for making tiny little bubbles.

OK folks, I did this as cheaply as possible. I had built one based on the image at the beginning of this thread. However, it didnt do to good of a job with more than two 2-liter bottles. I added a third and it couldnt keep up. The jar was too small and there wasnt enough agitation to break the Co2 up into smaller bubbles.

So, I redid it using a larger container and a makeshift spray nozzle. I didnt have a larger jar that I could find. Therefore, I used the top section of a 100 disc cd container and siliconed half of a clear CD case onto the bottom. The case has several holes drilled in it to allow flow but still keep 99% of the Co2 inside the difuser. I figure it will diffuse 100% but we'll have to wait and see.

Keep in mind that this is not the prettiest thing in the world. However, I dont intend to use it more than a few months. After which, the plants should be grown fairly well and I will be able to reduce lighting and do away with the Co2.

The typical top of a CD container.

$20 Marineland submersible pump.

Drilled a 5/8 inch diameter hole for the input hose.

Drilled three 3/16 inch holes. 2 for the airline suction cups I had left over. And one for the Co2 line in.

My makeshift spray nozzle. I used a small section of 1/2 inch copper pipe. I crimped one end nearly flat with a pair of pliers and then drilled several holes in it. I had to heat the tubing to get it to go over the pipe.

Assembly time. All that is left is to put some silicon around the holes I drilled to prevent any Co2 from escaping and add the drilled out CD case to the bottom.

The finished product. Mounted and running. Really tearing through the air inside the container. You can see the CD case attached to the bottom as well.

Like I said earlier, it's not pretty. But it is functional and cheap. If you're looking for a temporary diffuser for a larger tank, dont overlook those CD containers.

Looks good...I never thought about using cd containers for anything really...I'm still on the wall with the whole CO2 thing, so I won't comment on the workings, but I do have a question...Is copper pipe / tubing safe to use ????

redswi said:
Looks good...I never thought about using cd containers for anything really...I'm still on the wall with the whole CO2 thing, so I won't comment on the workings, but I do have a question...Is copper pipe / tubing safe to use ????
Good question on the copper.

My thought on using copper? The water comes into my house through copper lines. I cant see this being much different. If someone sees an issue that I am unaware of, by all means, speak up.

There really shouldn't be any problem with copper pipe, but PVC should be much cheaper. Even buying two pieces rather than pinching down should be cheaper. Copper prices are currently through the roof still. It's not as bad as before when people considered using stainless steel instead of copper, because it was actually cheaper.

The biggest issue with the copper is that if any of it leaches into the water you can say goodbye to your inverts (shrimp, snails, etc).

theotheragentm said:
There really shouldn't be any problem with copper pipe, but PVC should be much cheaper. Even buying two pieces rather than pinching down should be cheaper. Copper prices are currently through the roof still. It's not as bad as before when people considered using stainless steel instead of copper, because it was actually cheaper.
I had the copper left over from my bathroom remodel. Had I not used that, I probably would have opted for melting the section of tubing and pressing the end closed. Then heating a screwdriver or something similar to melt holes into the pipe.

Purrbox said:
The biggest issue with the copper is that if any of it leaches into the water you can say goodbye to your inverts (shrimp, snails, etc).
Did you say snails? :twisted: Maybe copper is a good thing.

As for this thing working, I am running the equivilant of six 2-liter bottles into it. Most is getting used up. There are some very tiny bubbles that get by it. Not alot though. And accoding to the test I took a bit ago, I have 48ppm Co2!

i like the idea, but my tank probably would do with something a little thinner.... maybe like a baby bottle with the top taken off...

Mine is a hamster water bottle with a hole drilled through the side... I currently have a Hagen AquaClear 30 powerhead set on the lowest flow, fed through it for the vortex..., and the air fed through the venturi. I might be needing a slower pump, like a Hagen AC20 or 10.

Just to add to the copper thing.. It will also kill Val. and some other plants. In fact, if you have a tree you want to kill (keeps sprouting new shoots up). drive a couple of copper nails into it.. This is handy for trees trying to grow through a patio or deck (and you had to remove the tree/bush to put it in)..

PVC fittings would be recommended over copper, especially when injecting Co2 (which increases the acidity of the water and may accelerate the leeching effect).

Good design nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom