CO2 Reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purrbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just finished building a pair of inline CO2 reactors for use with my FW Nano Tanks. Used 1" PVC and fittings, and filled each with 60 x 1/2" Nano Balls. A ViaAqua 180 water pump will be used with each reactor. I will test them for leaks tomorrow, after they've had 24 hours to cure.

Used plans from here as a basis for the reactors.

Very nice! Dims of the final product? Look forward to results. Mind taking a baseline CO2 reading of tap and with your old reactor too for comparison?

Overall length including the barbed fitting is 9 3/4". The width including the barbed fitting at the widest part is 3 3/4" . Depth including the airline connector is 2". Without fittings the dimensions are 8 1/2", 2 3/4", & 1 1/2".

Baseline Tap CO2
KH = 50ppm
PH = 7.4
CO2 = 3.35ppm

My CO2 has been running between 15ppm and 25ppm with the old diffuser, a RedSea CO2 Reactor 200. Most of the readings are closer to 15ppm. I'll try to get some current readings later, since I didn't get around to testing or installing the new diffuser yet.

UPDATE

I did the leak check this morning and both reactors passed with flying colors. Yeah!

I also tested both tanks for CO2 levels this morning about 1 hour before the lights are scheduled to come on. That means that these are probably pretty close to the highest that the CO2 will be all day.

Baseline 2.5 CO2
KH = 100ppm
PH = 7.0
CO2 = 16.85ppm

Baseline 5 CO2
KH = 80ppm
PH = 7.2
CO2 = 8.51ppm

Neither of the passive diffusers have been working as they are supposed to lately, but the results on the 5 Gallon definately explain why I've been having problems with BBA lately. The results for the 2.5 Gallon were right where I expected both tanks to be running.

Well I finally got the CO2 reactors hooked up tonight. I'm seriously considering picking up some extra fittings so that I can neaten up how the tubing goes into and out of the tank. Right now they're just bent into place, and it's bugging me how they look. Other than that, they seem to be working great. I'll take a CO2 reading in a few days to see how well they're actually diffusing CO2.

I've bought some additonal fittings and have cleaned up the uptake and output tubes on the 5.5 Gallon yesterday. I'll be doing the same for the 2.5 Gallon today. It looks MUCH neater. Plus I'm replacing the clear tubing with black, which will hide it better with the black background that is already on the 2.5 Gallon and in the works for the 5.5 Gallon.

Did some testing today and here are the new stats using the new reactors.

New 2.5 CO2
KH = 90ppm
PH = 6.4
CO2 = 60.39ppm 8O

New 5.5 CO2
KH = 70ppm
PH = 6.4
CO2 = 46.97ppm 8O

Needless to say, these results are quite a bit better than I was aiming for. The 2.5 Gallon doesn't currently have any inhabitants, so I'm not too worried about it right now. I would like to get some Cherry Red Shrimp for it eventually, so I may have to try decreasing the efficiency of the reactor before adding them. :lol: Everyone in the 5.5 Gallon appears perfectly happy with no signs of stress, so I'm not worried about the slightly elevated levels in that tank.

I suspect that this same design could probably be used in upto a 10 Gallon tank without modification. For larger tanks, it would probably be necessary to enlarge the reactor some.

The reactor looks awesome Joy.

I will be building my inline reactor within the next week. Any advice?

Dan

Just make sure to everything bought that you're going to need to assemble them. Then get everything gathered together and laid out so you don't have to go running around looking for things. Take your time and they'll go together really easily.

I know this a newbee question but what is the order of your setup? which is the in line to the reactor and which is the out? I think it is the one on top of the straight part but this is not something I will be comfortable guessing at.

Water flows in the top (the straight connector) and out the bottom. This maximizes the contact time that the CO2 has with the water.

lol ok i am confused as to how u run everything. i realise that it is run with a powerhead but how is it all hooked up? i am kinda a noob to reactors.

There are a few ways of doing it.

1. You have a submersible water pump
2. You have a non submersible water pump
3. You have a canister filter

1. you put the pump in the water, run a piece of tubing from the pump to the reactor. and then from the reactor back to the tank.
2. similar to #1 but you have to run a piece of tubing from the tank to the pump, then follow the rest of #1.
3. you cut the hose running back to the tank from the canister and place the reactor between that.

I recently made a spray bar for my whole setup. I'll actually take a picture tonight to show you how I made it.

cool. i didnt realise this type of diffuser could be used for such a small tank. i think i may do this in my 20 gal to get better levels. i get really high leverls right now but could always be better lol. i just need to build one...

I hope this isn't considered too much of a Gravedig, but I figured since everyone I've seen in here still posts and likely still peeks at this forum no one will get too upset with me about it.

Purrbox, I'm looking into making one of these for my 10g tank and I've got a couple of questions.

1) I notice that you have yours hooked to a powerhead, what size hose did you use, and where did you find the hose? (I have the smallest penguin powerhead model)

2) If I had the powerhead in the tank pumping out of the tank and through all of this, how would I work the return line? Meaning I would need some type of outlet/spraybar type thing to connect this to.

Thanks

I have a Penguin Powerhead, and I never found a way to attach a hose to it..., unless you get like a super thick one...

:? Oh well. I may just run the CO2 hose into the powerhead inlet and have a mist. Seems cheaper and easier.

thast exactly what it does. the co2 enters at the begginning of the unit and the water is flowing through it. the unit is filled with bioballs or some other material that casue the bubbles to break up and disperse through the water.

Thanks Mr Funktastic.
I just have my DIY CO2 going into a bottel laying on it's side on the bottem of the tank.
Farma

Back
Top Bottom