CO2 Reactor Lesson Learned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you dose the metricide 14 at? 1/2 ml per gallon?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The glut is 1:1 (half strength). I dose 10-20 mL in a 20 g. So that's 0.5-1 mL per gallon at half strength. Or 0.25-0.5 mL per gallon full strength.

Reactor installation completed around noon. No leaks, no gurgling, flow is great. It is like the reactor isn't even there! I ran approximately 2 BPS today and no issues. Absolutely no CO2 bubbles leaving the reactor. Cost? well the Clear water filter casing from Menards online was $14 plus about $9 shipping, PVC parts were about $20. So about $40 total. This sure beats the AquaMedic reactor for about $130 and I have a better reactor IMO for a quarter of the cost.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a winner. Low cost, reproducible design.
Big question: are drop checker(s) green, lime green, yellow green yet?

I have to buy some. I usually just use the PH test kit. Question: Is there a Drop Checker that has a good suction cup and will stay affixed to the glass. If I had a rimless tank I could get an external drop checker, but my tank is a "rimmed" tank.

I got a couple off ebay for $4, havnt had an issue yet, 3 months later..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a Fluval DC that I have been using for about 1.5 years and the suction cup is still holding firmly. I also have an all glass model and fluid (both from Brookster). It's only been a few months but that one is sticking to the GLA's just fine.

Ok. I'll get some. Brookster, I ordered some metricide 14...is it the same concentration as Excel? Do I dose 1ml/gal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nahh.. .5ml/gal.. unless it's crazy high light.

No Contest.. I'm 80% through my 2nd gallon in 7 months..

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a winner. Low cost, reproducible design.
Big question: are drop checker(s) green, lime green, yellow green yet?

I am running close to 3 and still getting a greenish blue I believe hard to really tell since my glass bad a green tint.

I have a Few Amazon swords one got huge so might be hogging all the co2. I could be making that up as well.

Ok. I'll get some. Brookster, I ordered some metricide 14...is it the same concentration as Excel? Do I dose 1ml/gal?

Haha ordered some as well. Bookster and Fresh are making me poor. My kids just wanted a gold fish from the carnival which started this mess :)

It is a lot CHEAPER than Excel!

Yes. Volume wise, 1 gallon of Metricide 14 is equivalent to 7.5 bottles (500 mL) Excel. Strength wise, equivalent to 15 bottles of Excel.

That being said, there is a noticeable caveat with DIY CO2. When you first start your batch, the entire CO2 fermenter (and any gas separator you use) will be filled with atmosphere, which is 80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen (and much smaller percents other things), which is all insoluble. CO2 is denser than either of those, so your reactor will initially release those two gases until the entire space has been replaced by CO2, after which point it will mostly be pure CO2.

CO2 is denser, but its density is negligible since it will immediately start to diffuse and mix with the other gases, and standard gravity is not a strong enough force to overcome the kinetic forces of gaseous molecules. Gases of different densities won't stratify at standard gravity, instead they gradually spread until the space is evenly occupied.

Not that it matters, though (just thought it was worth mentioning). The effect is the same: slow-dissolving N2 and O2 getting "trapped" in the reactor.

OK. I ordered 3 glass drop checkers from Aquatic Magic. They are Chinese knock-offs. they are coming from Malaysia, so they will probably be here next year in January. Thanks for the advise, encouragement, and simply following this thread.

Off flea bay? Mine took 3 weeks.. forgot i had ordered them haha

Are you getting any bubbles. I noticed when I increased mine to around 3bps I am starting to see little bubbles coming from the tube. I have been meaning to build a larger Rex style reactor so maybe it is time.

I might have to much flow so not long enough to dissolve it all.

Off flea bay? Mine took 3 weeks.. forgot i had ordered them haha

Off of Amazon. Brookster I have a question, I just received the Metricide. It has a tiny activator bottle attached . What do I do with the activator bottle?

Back
Top Bottom