Coconut Cave & Coconut Bubbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my girlfriend and I decided to pick up a coconut from the store (I've never drank the milk before & wanted to try it - which I found it it is pretty good!)

Well, after drinking the milk, I decided to make my own cave out of them. I've seen it before online, and found them to be pretty neat.

The coconut itself wasn't very large, so I decided to put it in our Pleco tank - which is currently holding 19 African Cichlid fry on top of our 3 pleco's (1 small brown zebra, 1 small bushy nose, 1 small albino bushy nose). The fry haven't taken a liking to the cave, but both bushy noses certainly have.

:) Anyways, one half of the coconut actually split in half when I was breaking the coconut itself. So I have a half (which is the full cave) and a the other half was in 2 pcs. So instead of throwing it away, I had another great idea! Why not make it a bubbler! The bubbler traps bubbles, and when the bubble gets too large, it will lift the coconut top up and let the air out, and the top drops back down immediately after. The thing came out flawless, way better than I had imagined; and I'm hard on myself on the way DIY stuff turns out sometimes. I actually put some decorative stones in the bubbler to make it look like treasure.

I've never heard of anyone making a bubbler hinge like this, so I was proud of myself for thinking of it.

To do it, I just drilled two baby holes (1 in each piece) near the edge, and tied them together with 6lb fishing line (clear) and left very little slack. It already had a large hole where I drilled to get the milk, but I would imagine that you would need one either way, or it would probably lift up and repeat very very quickly. This one has about a 5-6 delay before it will lift.

The results turned out great, sorry for the less than perfect pictures, but it shows the results.

Cave:

Bubble Trap Closed:

Bubble Trap Open

thats cool ill go get a few for my breeder plecos. i like the look and actualy in the kids toy department they sell palm trees and and beach decorations for kids to play with so it could look like a beach scean in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom