Compact Fluorescent DYI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pairustwo

Aquarium Advice Regular
What does everyone think of this:
http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-lighting/55.asp

I'd like to turn up the light on my 20gallon tank to help my plants out a little - ON THE CHEAP. Will these types of compact fluorescent lights provide the type of light that plants need?

Or can anyone provide a list of materials needed to build a compact fluorescent hood - like balast and sockets. Essentially I don't know the details of what makes compact fluorecent different from a regular set up.

thanks.
Pairustwo

I just wanted to mention that purrbox turned me on to a really good deal on refurbished equipment at tricitytropical.com if you're willing to do refurbished. I got a refurb satellite 24" fixture for $35 there that I'm waiting on to be delivered today or tomorrow!

That setup would probably work. I would take it a few steps further by:

1) Enclosing the unit so water cannot get splashed into the electrical to lower the risk of getting shocked. However, enclosing it may result in the need for a fan to cool the unit.
2) Using something other than foil as a reflector. Foil is better than nothing, but not very good at reflecting. Wherever it was I read about the use of foil challenged one to shine a laser pointer at foil and witness for yourself how much of the light is diffused instead of reflected. You can pick up a cheap door mirror for $5 and a glass cutter for a few bucks at Home Depot. Just cut it to fit and glue it in. (Going to do this on my next one).

You might be just as well off over-driving a pair of T8s. It would also be on the cheap using $7 shop-lights from Home Depot. I did my 48" non-over-driven hood for under $50 (including bulbs). That also includes purchasing the wood as well. If you have the wood already, expect to pay under $30 for all your hardware.

Somebody else would have to tell you which way would be better.

i used a similar process for lighting on the cheap. i used existing fixtures and screw in style 26W daylight bulbs(6500k). Walmat has them as 26W daylight bulbs, the one i was at had them in 2 packs for 6.44.

it's working well right now, the plants are growing., i thought of overdriving, but all of the plans for that process used 48" bulbs which wasn't optimal for my 30gallon tank. i might check out those refurb lights neilan mentioned on the next tank i set up.

I also have a small 20gal hex tank that I can't easily find a hood for. I thought the screw in lights would work nicely for that.

Any tips on a balast for compact fluorescent bars? Do they take a special low wattage balast or what. And where can I get one?

neilanh said:
I just wanted to mention that purrbox turned me on to a really good deal on refurbished equipment at tricitytropical.com if you're willing to do refurbished. I got a refurb satellite 24" fixture for $35 there that I'm waiting on to be delivered today or tomorrow!

A good bet right there. Cheap AND safe.

I'll just add to the foil part. Buy a 99 cent can of high gloss white spray paint from Lowes/Home Depot. It will be 100x better than tin foil. Even if you somehow iron the tin foil flat, it won't be as effective. Mirror (as mentioned) is probably a step better than white paint.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the screw-in PC's just don't perform like a standard tube; probably because of the surface area of the bulb, if I am remembering correctly. I'll try and dig up where I found the info, but it may be a shot in the dark.

ok, hopefully i can add something other than talk to this thread for once in my life. :) I actually took pics of the lighting i set up for my 60hex. i had this 60 hex that had 2 perfecto stock striplights:

193143395_8d9d8edf5d.jpg

then i built what my wife refers to as the "Sumo-Light Jr." :)

img_778123_1_010875bcf1a801f15b800cf73ccb93fb.jpg

the fixtures and wiring probably would have cost 20 bucks at home depot, but since i stripped them out of a bathroom fixture, they cost me about $5. the wood i had onhand, as well as the aluminum flashing for the reflector. i may either go with gloss paint next time or mylar, but mylar here is a bit expensive.

so heres Sumo-Light Jr. powered up:

img_778123_2_f166e4310f155903218d0ef8a4828bd9.jpg

And here it is on the tank:

img_778123_3_ef5e9b71cace2f22732f59448ecf1ec4.jpg

i added a fan on an AC adapter and a vent on the other side, we will see how well it works out. Now i know some of you will say, "Why do this when you can buy a refurb PC for 38 bucks?" and even more will say "You have to weigh out what your time is worth..."

Lets look at it this way, the DIY project in itself is recreation for me, and if you enjoy it, then its worth your valuable time. 2nd, my projects have always been, "What can i work out with materials i have on hand. this is recycling at its most creative.

Lastly, and most importantly, I can con the wife into spending 10 dollars here and 6 dollars there on a project... but 40 bucks on a light online? she would have a CORONARY...:) I know theres husbands out there who know exactly what i mean... :)

Very Nice, Kennef! Sumo-Light Jr.. LOL

My refurb unit came in today. Like I said, can't beat it for $35 - works like it was new

IMG_3113.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG

I was wondering what works better as a reflector? a mirror or mylar film?
Also, I have one of those screw on type PC bulbs like the one in the DIY link. It is 40w but the package says it replaces a 150w incandescent bulb. Does this mean my 29g tank is getting 1.37WPG or 5.1WPG?
I also want to put it on a timer but the packages says "do not use timer". Any ideas why? What would happen if I do put a timer on it?

Back
Top Bottom