Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
ok, hopefully i can add something other than talk to this thread for once in my life. I actually took pics of the lighting i set up for my 60hex. i had this 60 hex that had 2 perfecto stock striplights:

then i built what my wife refers to as the "Sumo-Light Jr."

the fixtures and wiring probably would have cost 20 bucks at home depot, but since i stripped them out of a bathroom fixture, they cost me about $5. the wood i had onhand, as well as the aluminum flashing for the reflector. i may either go with gloss paint next time or mylar, but mylar here is a bit expensive.

so heres Sumo-Light Jr. powered up:

And here it is on the tank:

i added a fan on an AC adapter and a vent on the other side, we will see how well it works out. Now i know some of you will say, "Why do this when you can buy a refurb PC for 38 bucks?" and even more will say "You have to weigh out what your time is worth..."

Lets look at it this way, the DIY project in itself is recreation for me, and if you enjoy it, then its worth your valuable time. 2nd, my projects have always been, "What can i work out with materials i have on hand. this is recycling at its most creative.

Lastly, and most importantly, I can con the wife into spending 10 dollars here and 6 dollars there on a project... but 40 bucks on a light online? she would have a CORONARY... I know theres husbands out there who know exactly what i mean... [img][/img][img][/img]

kennef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
Sliced Bread

Very Nice, Kennef! Sumo-Light Jr.. LOL

My refurb unit came in today. Like I said, can't beat it for $35 - works like it was new

In the DC Metro Area? Check out GWAPA and WAMAS
neilanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Big difference there kennef. Looks good.
75 Gallon High-Tech Planted Community
3.5 WPG using T8's
Fluorite w/sand mix
Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering what works better as a reflector? a mirror or mylar film?
Also, I have one of those screw on type PC bulbs like the one in the DIY link. It is 40w but the package says it replaces a 150w incandescent bulb. Does this mean my 29g tank is getting 1.37WPG or 5.1WPG?
I also want to put it on a timer but the packages says "do not use timer". Any ideas why? What would happen if I do put a timer on it?

leoslizards is offline   Reply With Quote

dyi, fluorescent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com