Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Compact Fluorescent DYI

What does everyone think of this:
http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects...ighting/55.asp

I'd like to turn up the light on my 20gallon tank to help my plants out a little - ON THE CHEAP. Will these types of compact fluorescent lights provide the type of light that plants need?

Or can anyone provide a list of materials needed to build a compact fluorescent hood - like balast and sockets. Essentially I don't know the details of what makes compact fluorecent different from a regular set up.

thanks.
Pairustwo

Old 02-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

I just wanted to mention that purrbox turned me on to a really good deal on refurbished equipment at tricitytropical.com if you're willing to do refurbished. I got a refurb satellite 24" fixture for $35 there that I'm waiting on to be delivered today or tomorrow!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That setup would probably work. I would take it a few steps further by:

1) Enclosing the unit so water cannot get splashed into the electrical to lower the risk of getting shocked. However, enclosing it may result in the need for a fan to cool the unit.
2) Using something other than foil as a reflector. Foil is better than nothing, but not very good at reflecting. Wherever it was I read about the use of foil challenged one to shine a laser pointer at foil and witness for yourself how much of the light is diffused instead of reflected. You can pick up a cheap door mirror for $5 and a glass cutter for a few bucks at Home Depot. Just cut it to fit and glue it in. (Going to do this on my next one).

You might be just as well off over-driving a pair of T8s. It would also be on the cheap using $7 shop-lights from Home Depot. I did my 48" non-over-driven hood for under $50 (including bulbs). That also includes purchasing the wood as well. If you have the wood already, expect to pay under $30 for all your hardware.

Somebody else would have to tell you which way would be better.

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i used a similar process for lighting on the cheap. i used existing fixtures and screw in style 26W daylight bulbs(6500k). Walmat has them as 26W daylight bulbs, the one i was at had them in 2 packs for 6.44.

it's working well right now, the plants are growing., i thought of overdriving, but all of the plans for that process used 48" bulbs which wasn't optimal for my 30gallon tank. i might check out those refurb lights neilan mentioned on the next tank i set up.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I also have a small 20gal hex tank that I can't easily find a hood for. I thought the screw in lights would work nicely for that.

Any tips on a balast for compact fluorescent bars? Do they take a special low wattage balast or what. And where can I get one?
Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used the same lights as kennef mentions above in this projecthttp://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209

I don't have a pic of the actual lights yet but they seem to work well for an odd space....

Quote:
What does everyone think of this:
http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects...ighting/55.asp
the bulbs will work but the fixture is far from safe...you should use an actual socket

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Burks Send a message via MSN to Burks
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh
I just wanted to mention that purrbox turned me on to a really good deal on refurbished equipment at tricitytropical.com if you're willing to do refurbished. I got a refurb satellite 24" fixture for $35 there that I'm waiting on to be delivered today or tomorrow!
A good bet right there. Cheap AND safe.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

tricitytropical.com is a dead end.

is it out of business or was it a typo?
Old 02-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
Sliced Bread

Sorry about that, it was a typo. It's tricitytropicals.com. Try this link

http://www.tricitytropicals.com/inde...TS&Category=40
Old 02-23-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll just add to the foil part. Buy a 99 cent can of high gloss white spray paint from Lowes/Home Depot. It will be 100x better than tin foil. Even if you somehow iron the tin foil flat, it won't be as effective. Mirror (as mentioned) is probably a step better than white paint.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the screw-in PC's just don't perform like a standard tube; probably because of the surface area of the bulb, if I am remembering correctly. I'll try and dig up where I found the info, but it may be a shot in the dark.

Rena Filstar XP2
Pressurized CO2 w/SMS122

29 Gallon Goldfish
4" Red/White Ryunkin
4" Orange Fantail
Penguin 100
AquaClear 20
FMJnaX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyi, fluorescent

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com