Complete LED light fixture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I was thinking, since we use LEDs for moonlights... why not for regular lighting?

Is this possible? I know it'd be a lot of LEDs but hey...

I've seen a sharper image design catalog with a LED desk lamp with an array of 66 bright LED lamps I think, at least one foot long at the light.
Also, some airplanes are getting LEDs into the lighting, and the new Boeing 787 will use LEDs as well, along with moodlighting and stuff. New traffic light fixtures use an array of LEDs. If you live in an area using LED traffic lights, you can look at the light itself and see lots of colored dots. I live in the Plano, TX area, and the traffic lights are LED. Also, some exit signs are LED. I don't think there are LEDs intense enough for a whole room, unless you had like a million LEDs or something, but technology is changing, who knows what will come?

The sign industry is switching from neon lettering to using low voltage lighting like LEDs for back lit signs. The ones we use are very bright, but I am not sure of the spectrum. I guess for a fish only tank it would suffice.

A firm has actually started to release LED arrays for Reefs. They cost a fortune at the moment (but remember the longevity of LEDs compared to say tubes or MH bulbs).

As the industry changes over the technology will get cheaper and we will start to see the prices drop.

The firm that I have seen offering it is here: http://www.solarisled.com/

not to mention the power efficiency....wow! I bet it would look incredible and they really dont give off much heat either. :) neat idea.

very cool. however LEDs are cheaply had, those prices are riddiculous IMO

quixand said:
very cool. however LEDs are cheaply had, those prices are riddiculous IMO
I think it has to do with the circuitry in the units. My question is how hard is it to change a LED?

LED's are pretty easy. Depending on how they have em configured.
You could probably do this as a DIY.... /thinks

If you just did it as a push in pull out type thing, and one LED breaks, just pull it out and push a new one in.. thats if you match the polarity up. LEDs don't burn out. They only break or get dim. You break them by applying too much electricity to them. They get slightly dimmer as you use them for a long time, at least many years I suppose

i was looking at making/finding a small LED array for a nano plant tank - i don't know if LEDs would provide the right type of light for plant growth, though. sounds like an experiment to me! :D

some LEDs have different color outputs, maybe you could find one that makes fishes glow or lets plants grow!, but you will need quite alot.

They sell a replacement light for swimming pool underwater lights that is made up of LEDs. These lights have three different colors and you can cycle through the colors, or have all three come on which makes a "white" light. The bulb resembles a flood style bulb that can screw into a standard light receptacle. The only problem is they are quite expensive.

http://www.nextag.com/in_-_ground-pool-lights/search-html

Back
Top Bottom