Completed my FW 120g with 40g Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
It look 4-5 months to gather all the funds to purchase everything I needed, but its worth the wait. After drilling my tank 2-3 weeks ago, I hooked up my glass-hole overflow. Today, I finished the plumbing.

I bought the 1500 overflow kit and the 3/4" return kit.
dscn3284j.jpg

The eggcrate basket carries enough Seachem Pond Matrix to fill up a 5g bucket. After testing for a month and a half, I don't think it can culture anaerobic bacteria (removal of nitrAte). This is my biological filtration.
dscn3286q.jpg

I have 2 large filter socks (100 microns each) to catch most things coming from the main tank. These filter socks are 7"x16", so it will take long to clog up. Nevertheless, I have a 3rd filter sock as a spare back-up. This is my mechanical filtration. The ultra-flex PVC pipe makes plumbing very easy. I only needed 2 elbows for my whole system.
dscn3291rr.jpg

My return pump will go in the right side of the sump. The return line has no elbows at all because the 3/4" ultra-flex PVC pipe is extremely flexible. I bought a Danner Mag-Drive Supreme 18. I'm expecting ~1100gph overall flow. Ample of room left to add more equipment if needed.
dscn3292vz.jpg

Sorry for the glare!
dscn3288z.jpg

I'm waiting for the my PVC cement to finish curing. I will do a leak test tomorrow. If all goes well, then my Fahaka puffer can go back into his home.

Next project is adding an Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS). I will need more funds, so maybe 2-3 months before I'm done.

I got a leak around one of elbows at the overflow area. It is seeping a drop of water every 1 minute. How to fix the leak? The only difference between the two elbows is that there is slightly more weight from the pipe on the side that is leaking.
dscn3303d.jpg

I also notice that the return elbow is noisy. Does this mean anything?
dscn3305q.jpg

I just found the problem. Around the gasket, I can feel an uneven surface on the glass. Its barely noticeable to the touch of my hand. I think the gasket is too close to the drilled site. Can I just use aquarium silicone to cover up this part?

Back
Top Bottom