Completely DIY 100G set up (Tank, stand, sump)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well here goes the explanation. I am in love with my two Oscars, Gringo and Monstro. They are always swimming together and are getting over HITH disease. They are about 4 inches or slightly bigger and are currently in a 45 gallon tank with mediocre filtering (so I have to use the python twice a week). I am blessed in the fact that my pops owns a business molding and using acrylic and an uncle very much verse in the craft of wood-shop. I am going home tomorrow (from college) and I want to start showing them ideas of how to build these things, and I just want to get the most exact I can get. I want to make a 100G tank for my two oscars, have my uncle help with the stand, and along with the tank make a sump as well. I want the tank to be a drilled one so I don't have to use an overflow box which seems a bit of a hassle. My problem is that I cannot find sites that instruct well on how to build a predrilled tank, and same goes for the stand and sump. After some searching I've come across some vague instructions and/or limited info on these constructions. Can someone please tell me where I can go to find decent instructions to make a pre-drilled acrylic tank. I find it hard to find instructions about the plumbing of these tanks :oops: - Thanks all I really appreciate it!

for acrylic that is 3/8 to 1/2, you assemble the tank, and allow the adhesive to cure

then drill with nice and sharp wood hole-saw bit

is the whole tank being made from acrylic, or just the front window?

you may want to look into plywood tanks, and then you use a piece of tempered glass for the "window"

check out this site:

www.google.com

I did a search for building acrylic aquarium and also drilling - came up with plenty of info, like using a wood hole saw, and keeping it wet so it stays cool and doesn't melt itself into the hole.

Okay I found at Garf.org a great building site, but it never explains how to make it have internal plumbing or how it works... and I couldn't find it searching... any ideas or sites, or explantions? :D

well, an internal plumbing can be as simple as a single stand pipe, something with a skimmer weir, multiple drains, closed loops, etc..

the conventional internal's that I have seen consist of a small section of the tank is divided off with a piece of plastic, beveled so it fits at a 45° angle. in the top of the plastic, there are "teeth" cut that allow water and small debris to spill into the drain area.... this piece of plastic can be used to set your water level, or the teeth can be cut larger, and you use the stand pipe to set your water level.

inside this area are two holes, each contains a bulkhead and attached is a piece of pipe. one pipe is the drain, and it's basiclly just a pipe that is long enough to come up to where you want your water level - any excess water spills down the pipe. the second pipe is your water return from the sump. The end of this would be connected to a spray bar or something, to return the filtered water.

for a 100 gallon tank, I'd recommend a 1.5" drain and a 3/4" or 1" return. a 1.5" drain is overkill, but you can rest easy that it will take a lot to clog it enough that it can't handle the 800-1000gph that is the norm 10x turnover for that size tank

If you wanted to do two overflows, you could probably use 1" for both drain and return.

are there any pics or plans that have the first idea? Unfortunately I am a visual learner :( - I can pretty much see everything but am kinda confused about what a bulk head is and how it would attach to the holes in the tankk? thanks

I agree with justDIY search the web alot and see what you can find all the info is there just have to find it. WOW those bulkheads are expensive but a very good explaination of how they work. As for the 1.5" bulkhead i would definitly recommend using 2 of them for drain. My current 75 gallon is using 2 1.25" bulkheads for drain in my overflow box and a return of 1000 gph. I tested to see how the drain would work with only one and if you can stand very LOUD slirping noise then only go with one if you want a quite running go with 2 drains and 1 return. Heres some pics of mine:

Hey gooyferret I like the surface agitator that you have ( that pipe with all the holes in it ) Did you make that yourself or bought it like that ???
Also what HP are you using to drinve that ?
Thanks in advance for the info

Thanks a lot guys!! I did do some searching and looked thorugh with your help and found the necesary plans t build everything, I am so excited!

I do have one question though.. if my filtration is internal (pre drilled tank) will one drain still make that noise? And if so will two drains be enough to stop making that noise? thanks!

Back
Top Bottom