Concept tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallenRedeemer

Aquarium Advice Freak
My roommate wants to build a custom cage for her snake and lizard so I am building a concept model of my idea right now. Could be used as an aquarium too. This is just 8"x4" to test the waterproof capabilities of my design. I am using thin acrylic for the reptile cages. Would have to use thicker for an aquarium. Here are some pics of what I have built today. Just the bottom and sides in places but not secured.

Attachments

• image-1743492868.jpg
    image-1743492868.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 119
  • image-1224759537.jpg
    image-1224759537.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 114
  • image-2388381268.jpg
    image-2388381268.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2698995294.jpg
    image-2698995294.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 105
My roommate wants to build a custom cage for her snake and lizard so I am building a concept model of my idea right now. Could be used as an aquarium too. This is just 8"x4" to test the waterproof capabilities of my design. I am using thin acrylic for the reptile cages. Would have to use thicker for an aquarium. Here are some pics of what I have built today. Just the bottom and sides in places but not secured.

So... What the concept :p?

I guess it's more of a model for the full size tank to make sure than my design and process works. I am using acrylic panels. There is a framing of aluminum metal. A 1-1/2" pice on the outside of the acrylic and a 1/2" piece on the inside. They are riveted together and silicones for water tightness. If I make a aquarium with design I would use thicker acrylic but since there won't be any out word pressure for the reptiles the thinner will work. All metal is aluminum would there be any sort of problem with the aluminum with submerged in an actual aquarium. Also if I do make the aquarium and use thicker acrylic I don't think I would need any pieces on the inside and the metal pieces would just take the place of the plastic frames.

If you're using acrylic, why would you need the aluminum? Wouldn't you want to add a euro brace or something similar on the inside to add more stability?

I am not sure what a euro brace is. And the aluminum is what I found that's available at the local lowes that I thought would work. I'm trying to avoid to avoid ordering parts online but I am not completely opposed to it ad am open to suggestions on improving the design

It's not really an extra part. It's just adding acrylic to the top of the aquarium to add strength and stability. Acrylic tanks don't really gain much from a traditional brace. That is more for glass tanks.

Check out uarujoey on YouTube. He's got tons of good DIY vids on making acrylic and glass tanks.

Back
Top Bottom