Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Concrete Stand.

I was thinking about doing something cheap and effective for my 29gal tank.

How about taking cinderblocks, and say.. make 3 stacks of them, one on each end, one in the middle, for the tank stand?

Put a piece of plywood over the top, to even things out and to make sure theres something under every inch of the bottom..

Would this work?

as long as all three stacks were eactly level, I know one stack being higher [specially if its the middle one ] would be disasterous.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

This is very similar to my setup, which I use for my 55gal tank and my 2x 30gal, 29gal and 20gal tanks.

The difference is I used 2 x 4's instead of plywood.

First, there's two 2 x 4's on the floor. Then a stack of 3 cinder blocks, then 4 (I think) 2 x 4's side by side on the top where the tanks sit.

XXXX <- More 2 x 4's
OOOO
OOOO <- Cinder blocks
OOOO
X......X <- Base 2 x 4's (periods used as place holders)

This setup has worked fine for 12 years and counting (please, no one yell jinx!! )

In retrospect, I would used something more then 1 layer of cardboard on top of the 2 x 4's and under the fish tanks. But, that's all I could afford at the time.

As for you setup..

What thickness of plywood would you use? 1/2 inch? 3/4 inch?

How do you plan on arranging the cinder blocks? ||| or |-|

1/2 plywood would probably work okay with |||

3/4 plywood should work okay with |-|

Then again, this could all be overkill or a disaster waiting to happen, see what other people have to say.

Also, my response is my opinion. I'm not structural engineer.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would put the 3 stacks all going in the same direction, Front to back.

2x4 you say?

Hrm.

Why did you put them on the bottom? I can understand the top, but why the bottom?

Just trying to figure out so I can learn from your mistakes, if you made any. INstead of making mistakes of my own ^_^;
Old 04-26-2004, 09:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Why did you put them on the bottom? I can understand the top, but why the bottom?
My diagram is a side view of the stand.

I but the boards underneath the cinder blocks in a somewhat unsuccessful attempt to reduce damage to the carpet underneath (on a cement floor in my basement..) Right now, all the carpet tread and thin layer of padding behind it is smashed flat.

Plus, in case of any water disaster, the blocks would be protected from the water (to this day, no water problems..)

No mistakes, just the one regret with the cardboard under the tanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:47 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I've seen someone supporting a 250 gal tank using concrete blocks. Just have to make sure you have enough of the blocks to take the load. For a 29 gal, there is not that much weight so I think your plan would be fine. (I have a heavy tool cupboard on 4 blocks & it is fine (I must have a couple hundred lbs of tools & wood on top of that thing & so far nothing had collapsed.)

FYI - If the blocks / top are not completely even, lay a 1/2 inch thick sheet of stylofoam (insulation board) on the top, and put the tank on top of that. The stylofoam will deform with the tank weight & tend to even things out. Others have also use rubber mats/ dense foam for the same purpose. I read about that in the DIY forum (I think ... or is it general discussion?)
Old 04-26-2004, 11:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by William
My diagram is a side view of the stand.

I but the boards underneath the cinder blocks in a somewhat unsuccessful attempt to reduce damage to the carpet underneath (on a cement floor in my basement..) Right now, all the carpet tread and thin layer of padding behind it is smashed flat.

Plus, in case of any water disaster, the blocks would be protected from the water (to this day, no water problems..)

No mistakes, just the one regret with the cardboard under the tanks.

Theres no carpet where its going, so thats a big bonus

Can you post some up close pics of your stand so I cna get a good idea of placement?

if you don't mind..

Tags
stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com