Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think he is talking about doing what you said before and that is have his 20 as a sump/refuigium, that is horizontal from his 55, and how he would balance the waterflow out.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes. sorry, the return tube I was referring to was the tube between the two tanks. the HOB of course dumps into the 20, like normal, it is drawing from the 55. which are horizontal to each other.

remember I am just a poor unemployed Dad with more time than money. And OP gave me the idea.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry but have you set this up already? If you have how does it work?do the water levels stay the same or close?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by th08tu View Post
Sorry but have you set this up already? If you have how does it work?do the water levels stay the same or close?
I tried it with my smallest HOB filter.

to make it work it will need a large diameter tube between the tanks. I will try it with pool filter hose. Otherwise no, it was not working.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

oh, i think i see what you mean.

one thing you have to account for is cavitation. with the hose connecting the two tanks, any air build up in the connecting hose will stop any siphon action you may have created. this can be righted with an inline check valve at the top of the connecting hose, but again, its best to go with the over/under design.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #26
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

why not get two small canister filters, feed one from one tank, exit to the other, and on the other, do the opposite... that would be the easiest way

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
why not get two small canister filters, feed one from one tank, exit to the other, and on the other, do the opposite... that would be the easiest way
No, no no! That would be dangerous! You never connecting two tank (or sump & tank) with 2 active pump systems. If one pump quits, or if the flows are not exactly balanced <and the pumps will get unbalanced with a bit of dirt or algae, etc>, you will pump one tank dry & flood the other.

The proper way is to have a siphon connect the two tanks, and a pump taking water from one to the other. This si a site of how this works:
Aquatic Eden: Aquarium Fish Highway - Freshwater Planted Aquarium Blog
Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nothing will get pumped dry if the is a closed tube attachment between the tanks. In fact it would be the simplest system that would work.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #30
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Nothing will get pumped dry if the is a closed tube attachment between the tanks. In fact it would be the simplest system that would work.
i was under the impression that there was a line between the two tanks keeping water levels the same... after i read a little deeper in to the thread, i figured out that there wasnt exactly...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com