connecting 2 glass 25gallon tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emmy101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 2 glass tanks i would like to connect so half can be sand and half can be crabdirt. They dont need to hold water, i just want to have it so they can decide if they want to be in the dirt or in sand. I recently adopted a new crab and hes way bigger then my other ones so id like to give them more room to crawl around in, the new one is used to sand and mine are used to the dirt. any ideas? thanks :D

I think clear acrylic/pvc pipes are pretty expensive, but if something dies in there, and you don't know, it could create a big stink. Another problem I see is the tank not being long enough to create a shallow enough angle up the pipe. Unless you plan on drilling your tank, I don't think anything sharper than 30 degrees would work very well. There are a few people who made "fish highways" (I think that's what they were called) and had clear acrylic pipes running across the room, so fish could go from tank to tank.

Welcome to AA!

I don't see this being possible without destroying both aquariums. I suppose you could remove the frames and one side from both aquariums, butt the tanks together and build a new bottom frame to hold the tanks together.

I think you'd be better off building a short, wide cage out of plywood. I'm picturing a little kid's square sandbox.

I think BigJim is the only way it could possibly work. On each tank you would have to remove the frame, strip out the silicone sealant on both edges of one of the panes, so that you were left with 2 tanks that were each missing 1 of their 4 sides. Then build some sort of stand that could hold the two of them once they were together as one, put them up against each other, and use aquarium (silicone) sealant to seal the two together. However, you would basically never be able to move the tank (I don't think) once they were sealed together, so you would have to do the sealing wherever it is you plan on keeping the tanks permanently.

Or, you could sell both of your current tanks on CraigsList and then use the money to buy yourself one new tank that is large enough to house everything you want to have. :razz: Which might be the easiest option here.

Back
Top Bottom