Connecting 2 sumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hitsnorth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to connect my two sumps together so the water from both tanks are shared(I want to do this to share chiller/heater/filtration). They are both on the same level and fill to the same level. However they are about 6 feet away from each other. What would be the best way to pass water back and forth between the two with little risk of flooding?

a plumbed syphon should work. take some 1" PVC and plumb a U into each tank and get the syphon started, that should be all you need to do.

I've attached a quick sketch to show what i'm talking about. You can put a T in the middle to make starting the syphon easier, you'll need to cap the T QUICKLY after starting the syphon.

That wont work what if the power goes off and the syphon will break, you will have water all over the place.

I did this exact thing. I drilled a hole in each sump and used two sets of male and female PVC connectors with o-rings. I used a 1" flexible tubing that I think is used for pools. It had some sort of hard plastic spiral in it.

|
|
--| |-------|
|---| |----------------------------
|---| |----------------------------
--| |-------|
|
|

That's just high pressure tubing. You can buy it at home depot. I would think about drilling and connecting the two for a return and pumping from the non-equipment sump into the equipment sump to assure a good mix of water. I don't think they would mix much otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom