Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

FIXED and ive read about that. its pretty cool. just im not sure thats what the OP was talking about lol

Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Oh, let me clarify what I mean then.

So, I want a way where I can transfer saltwater from my 20 gallon tanks to my 46 gallon tank and back. I was thinking of buying some pumps to accomplish this task, but I am unsure what type of pump to buy. One solution is to buy a 460 gph pump as the return line to the 20 gallon and use a powerhead to pump water down from the 20 gallon to the 46 gallon. The problem with this is I'm not sure if the flowrate will sync. If the powerhead pumps water at a slower rate than the 460 gph pump, then a spill will happen. I was hoping to get some input on what route would be best (powerhead + pump or just pumps).

The reason for all this is because it's a hassle to replace the water in my tanks. My tanks have the same water parameters, so the idea is to link them together so that I'll have to change only one of the tanks and then have that change reflected in all the other tanks by use of the pumps. When I need to change water, all I'll need to do is change the water in the 46 gallon tank. Once that's done, I'll turn on my pumps and the circulation will flow, pumping the new water from the 46 tank to the 20 gallon tank, thereby providing new water to the 20 gallons. Alternatively, if you guys have other solutions, let me know!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

use a overflow from your 20 gallon to the 46 and a pump from thr 46 to the 20.. what fitration are you using cause going through all this hassle why not just make the 46 gallon a sump and have your filtration and all of that there.

Tags
meters, parameters, tan, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com