Considering using sand, thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I'm new to using sand, I have been using gravel which I recently sold as I prefer the look of sand. I've done my research and concluded that white silica sand is best for me considering budget (I'm 15, so this is important!), appearance and compatibility with my fish (I have silver sharks, clown loaches, red tailed black sharks, guppies and tetras). I've been searching the web and fund a large range of different prices and understandably (considering the weight) postage costs. I need to purchase around at-least 15KG/30lbs. I live in Chorley (North west England) and I can't really travel far, so unless it's literally around the corner, the internet is the only viable option. So please can I have some links to reliable websites for purchasing sand under these requirements? Thanks, please list any websites even if they're not ideal. Thanks for all and any help :)

ok iv done this im 20 so i have the same problem (money) try playpen sand its realy cheap here in australia its like $6 a bag just clean it till you can mix it with out ur water going cloudy or merky looks great id buy a phyton or a bit of air hose on a chop stick it gets dirty realy quick but if you use air hose to suck the nastys up daily or weekly looks great here a pick of my 2 tanks hope this has helped you consider play pen sand XD

Attachments

• image-546881269.jpg
    image-546881269.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 126
  • image-2455045422.jpg
    image-2455045422.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 113
thanks!

Hi, I would prefer white sand, but that sand is only £5 in the UK, so it's literally a fifth of the price of the white sand so thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try to track down a good deal and white sand but if i can't soon I'll defiantly use that play sand.

IME play sand is a nightmare to keep clean and builds up anaerobic toxins everywhere! So you have to stir it up almost daily to be safe. I recently started to use pool filter sand and I love it! It's so easy to maintain and is a really light colour, not as white as silica but I prefer it.

Back
Top Bottom