controlling DIY CO2.. Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenmaji

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possibile to work a CO2 controller into a DIY system.. with a CO2 solenoid valve.. does the inline solenoid valve need a regulator for controlling the CO2?

Yes and no...controlling can be done, but I cannot imagine that you could DIY a main tank that could handle the required pressure for a typical valve and controllor unless you were really into welding and tank-work (and the cost would likely be the same as buying a tank).

My question was about the solenoid valve it appears to be an in line item.. how much presure could a pvc made tank hold?

greenmagi said:
My question was about the solenoid valve it appears to be an in line item.. how much presure could a pvc made tank hold?

That I cannot tell you...but you would want to use a thick PVC designed for pressure, and large screw-on ends. I am sure that some resource somewhere (likely online) could actually answer this, but the hose or its connection would give before the tank would.

I would think that the psi strength of plastic welder, being 3,500 psi, would hold your fittings in better than high strength pvc could hold the pressure. and the pvc canister was a separate question.. sorry..
I was wondering if the solenoid valve's were inline devises.. in other words they would be able to control the output, the ones designed for CO2 anyway.... Am I wrong on this? :?:

I have never had a CO2 system but have the same question as greenmagi. CO2 systems have two main parts: the solenoid valve, and the PH controller. My thought is to skip the solenoid valve (about $70) completely:

Connect the PH controller to the pump on a powered diffuser/reactor. When the PH is low enough the controller turns off the reactor and the CO2 just bubbles up and out of the reactor and out of the tank.

I really think this plan will work except for one thing: can a 120V pump be plugged into a controller?

Are we talking about a yeastmix generating CO2 source? Would we be trying to regulate the amount rather than allowing the full amount to be produced to enter the tank? If that is the case, you could put a simple pressure relief vave before the solenoid, that vent off the extra CO2 before the pressure got too high.

hashbaz said:
Connect the PH controller to the pump on a powered diffuser/reactor. When the PH is low enough the controller turns off the reactor and the CO2 just bubbles up and out of the reactor and out of the tank.

I really think this plan will work except for one thing: can a 120V pump be plugged into a controller?

Problem is that you'd have to have a vent at the top of the CO2 reactor, or the built-up CO2 would airlock the powerhead, and it wouldn't work when it was powered again by the controller/timer.

I may be missing something, but DIY CO2 is not meant to hold pressure. Solenoid valves can not regulate pressure! Even if you have a generator (plastic container) that can hold it, what would happen when the solenoid opens again? It would burst the gas like an open ended birthday balloon. You would need a pressure regulator and a needle valve, but that's an inch away from a true pressurized system.

Back
Top Bottom