Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I stand corrected! Hey, not my fault, had a tooth cut out and Vicodin seems to affect thinking? Imagine that!

jimmiebsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I would suggest an electronic load sensing ballast.

Your old ballast/starter doesn't work because it is fixed at 20W. An electronic ballast will sense the load & adjust accordingly, so you are not tied to the 18W in future. Plus the electronic ballast is smaller, lighter, and is quiet - no fluorescent hum, and possibly more energy efficient.

I have not seen electronic ballasts at HD (here, all they have are the heavy electro-magnetic ballasts - rapid start, but non-electronic.) You are better off going to a lighting parts store, they will be able to tell you what is needed. <Plus, electronic ballasts at my parts store is cheaper than HD .... at least in Edmonton.>

80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Awesome, thanks everybody. The last T12 20W bulb I have should be good for another 6-8 months so you may see this again come October or November.

Did go to HomeDepot to check out the ballasts and didn't notice any saying 'rapid start' and only a few indicated the recommended wattage. Most just gave the number of bulbs, length, and voltage. Thankfully I have plenty of time to figure this out!
hbeth82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by jimmiebsr View Post
I stand corrected! Hey, not my fault, had a tooth cut out and Vicodin seems to affect thinking? Imagine that!
Not to worry. No one blames anyone on this site. It was just a small adjustment. lol

Happy Reefing,
thincat is offline   Reply With Quote

converting, fluorescent, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com