Converting my closet into a large fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here is my plan..looking for some advice and/or help.

I have a approximately a 6' wide closet by 30" deep. Id like to turn into a large acrylic fish tank. thinking i could brace from top and bottom and have a rectangular tank with dimensions of
6' long X 30" wide X 5' tall...or taller depending on water load...
Anyone ever seen this done, or can it be done. I am thinking the taller the tank, the more water pressure at the bottom...
any ideas?? thanks,

Robb

Water pressure increases with depth, but that might not be your biggest concern.

That tank would be 561 gallons which would weigh between 4500lb and 6000lb. That's parking a large car in your closet. Better make sure your floor can handle that.

If that's not a problem, you'll need acrylic that's at least 2" thick to handle the pressure of a tank that deep.

After that, where are you going to put your tank equipment?

the closest is on concrete slab..id think would be able to hold a lot of weight...i have another "coat" closet next to the main closet which i can house a sump, pump and skimmer....
Any ideas on how to support or brace the acrylic? thanks,

robb

Really don't mean to drag you down, but you'd also have to consider how you would access it. Make sure you have some room at the top.

If your going with acrylic, your best bet is to contact an acrylic company in your area and have them construct it for you. They will know the tolerances and building specs better then what we do here most likely.

If you're getting a full acrylic tank to fit those dimesions, expect to pay thousands. If you make a plywood tank with an acrylic front, it'll still probably run you several thousand for the front panel.

Check out Glasscages.com - Home they can build you anything you want. I think 5' high would be to much. Maybe like 48". You probably could build up a sub-floor for it and be able to put you sumps and other stuff underneath. Sounds like fun to me.

$5000.00 Completed est.

what are you planning to keep in this tank? i think this is a bad idea. you will have no access to the bottom. how will you aquascape it? if you drop something in it by mistake, how will you remove it? with scuba gear?
i really don't think the fish will utilize most of a tank with those dimensions anyway.

what are you planning to keep in this tank? i think this is a bad idea. you will have no access to the bottom. how will you aquascape it? if you drop something in it by mistake, how will you remove it? with scuba gear?
i really don't think the fish will utilize most of a tank with those dimensions anyway.

LMAO That was so funny. He could set up a scuba school, Shoot it may pay for itself.
Still a cool idea, just to big.

5 feet sounds pretty tall, hope your job pays well. And if it does I would pay someone to build that sucker set it up and maintain it for you because it sounds like a lot stress to deal with, maybe if it was in an open space. I still think it is a cool idea and would look awesome but sounds a little tall. I would also recommed calling a local expert for the information on braces.

Back
Top Bottom