Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-01-2004, 08:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Cool Aquarium Light

Last night I guess I was feeling a bit more creative than usual. I spotted an old railroad light (Ya know the kind, has two lights the randomly blink at diffrent times) So I pulled the lights and sockets off of the frame and I cut the green light off. Then I taped the ending with (A little to much) tape. On my 5 gal I have a large square opening and a smaller narrower rectangle opening that my filter is hanging off of. So I stuck the light in the rectangle and it was a perfect fit. Now the tank shines red at random times. I think it would be better if the green light was there, but there was no room So try it!

happyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
It probably looks cool. One thing. Is it safe? That type of light is not made to be around water. If it happens to come loose and fall in the water you could have fried fish and maybe even a fire. Condensation could fry it too.
Hard to say without a close look at it but you might be able to waterproof the light with silicone tank sealer. Tape is not enough. There are little LED and laser lights on the market made to go in a aquarium. You might get some ideas from them on how to waterproof your lightshow.

A 37 GL but its really 27gl when full
Security at the expense of freedom results in neither.
chasgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
I removed it because I realised that.
happyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com