Cool Aquarium Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night I guess I was feeling a bit more creative than usual. I spotted an old railroad light (Ya know the kind, has two lights the randomly blink at diffrent times) So I pulled the lights and sockets off of the frame and I cut the green light off. Then I taped the ending with (A little to much) tape. On my 5 gal I have a large square opening and a smaller narrower rectangle opening that my filter is hanging off of. So I stuck the light in the rectangle and it was a perfect fit. Now the tank shines red at random times. I think it would be better if the green light was there, but there was no room :( So try it!

It probably looks cool. One thing. Is it safe? That type of light is not made to be around water. If it happens to come loose and fall in the water you could have fried fish and maybe even a fire. Condensation could fry it too.
Hard to say without a close look at it but you might be able to waterproof the light with silicone tank sealer. Tape is not enough. There are little LED and laser lights on the market made to go in a aquarium. You might get some ideas from them on how to waterproof your lightshow.

Back
Top Bottom