cooling my 10gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 10 gallon, that gets warm, with the light running all day, especially in summer, but i thought, it would be simple to throw a fan on it, and try to deflect some of the heat out of the light fixture, so i was wonderign would it be best to blow the air out of the light housing, or out of the actual tank of water? like blow air onto the water and circulate the air out of there? thanks!!

wow, that was a big run-on sentence....

first off, what is the temperature of your tank and what temperature are you trying to get it to? what fish/plants are in the tank? if you're using a standard house fan, aim it so that it is blowing onto/across the water. you'll notice quicker evaporation but the temperature should go down a bit. there are a couple other methods, but that's about all i can suggest without more info about your situation.

thetmaxx said:
i have a 10 gallon, that gets warm, with the light running all day, especially in summer, but i thought, it would be simple to throw a fan on it, and try to deflect some of the heat out of the light fixture, so i was wonderign would it be best to blow the air out of the light housing, or out of the actual tank of water? like blow air onto the water and circulate the air out of there? thanks!!

i have a tank that used to stay at around 82 degrees because of my mom's decision to not cool the house during the summer :x

i have experimented with several things to cool it down. i found that simply leaving the lid open instead of closing it cools it off around 2 degrees. (dont know if you leave it open or not). blowing a fan across the surface also got me around 2 degrees. this is all in a 29gal tank.

ha ha, my parents refuse to run the a/c!! but i sucessfully put the fan blowing in one vent, so the hot air goes out the other vent, and it also blows across the water too, went from 82-84*F to 75*F :) its a 12V computer fan that i wired to a 9V DC converter, its working great!!!

Also, sorry about the run-ons... im keeping a chiclid, puffer, and sucker fish.

Back
Top Bottom