Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2006, 05:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Are you sure it won't bow out when filled with water?
honestly??? I don't know... the way it is machined, and glued I don't think I will have a problem vertically... but this is the reason I posted here, so I'm changing the top as follows.

as for the silicone...we use it everyday to adhere our tops in place, and to seal...it is a pain to remove...some solid surface materials contain more of a polyester resin, I'm not sure how well silicone sticks to them[/img]

Old 12-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

That cross brace is what I was talkin 'bout exactly... and all I was saying was that is what I have read posted about silicone/glass adhesion. In my line of work, I use 50 year clear silicone for EVERYTHING, so I figured it would stick for you without a prob, just playing devil's advocate BEFORE you assemble.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

went to the shop this morning to cut some parts...didn't feel like sanding all day so my material is now all 7/16"thick....going back to the original top design...Don't see bowing as being to much of a problem,but I did make the top rails wider...did a dry run to make sure everything fit...will start my glue ups this week ,and will update the pics next weekend...

The color is called Beach (bottom is Moss ,but won't be seen)

from the front

from the side
Old 12-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks awesome! are you sure you want your water level that high for the overflow?
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

My well-reasoned and (I'm sure) helpful response?

"That is so cool."
Old 12-10-2006, 10:50 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for being a PITA, but I never even noticed your top rail when I was hounding you about that top brace. Now that I see it, I doubt you'll have a problem!

LOOKS COOL!!!! Are you making a canopy?

I tell ya, I am a fan of things that look retro, but are made with modern materials and reliability; THAT TANK fits the bill nicely. By retro I mean the framed front windows are a throwback to the days of old framed tanks... In this day and age when all everyone wants is a seamless tank, here you come w/ something completely unique and different!
Old 12-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
are you sure you want your water level that high for the overflow?
the idea is that the water will siphon from the bottom 3" of the tank, the routs at the top of the overflow split the water line creating an air break to balance the water in the overflow...at least that's what I keep telling myself. LOL

Quote:
Sorry for being a PITA, but I never even noticed your top rail when I was hounding you about that top brace.
I'm the one who told you to pick at it, but I did make it wider...at first I wasn't happy with the front frame but the more I look at it , the more I love it
Old 12-10-2006, 05:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

So far this is looking very nice. I cant wait to see the finished product.
Your use of original materials for the frame really sets it off
Old 12-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
at first I wasn't happy with the front frame but the more I look at it , the more I love it
Yeah man, one thing in life is certain: half the people are gonna love something, half are gonna hate it... as long as you (and everyone else on this thread so far, it seems) likes it, so what? Like I said, it's definitely one of a kind, I would love to have it.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's been a productive week... I glued up some of the panels during the week,and did a final assembly friday afternoon...

I know it's ugly...The acrylic resin runs all over but will be routed, and sanded later.

I took the tank out to the garage saturday morning because I wanted to keep the dust out of the house...spent most of the morning routing all the edges flush, then i gave all the edges a 1/8" radius...sanded up to 320 grit...then gave it all a buff with some very fine scotchbrite before bringing it back in, (it's to cold to work out there)...took some measurements and cut all my glass (lucky for my cheap self I had apiece of heavy 1/4" plate glass left over from an old coffee table) LOL...siliconed everything in place... just waiting to cure so I can test for leaks.

ok,so,I probably rushed the water test, it's been about 24 hrs...so far so good

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com