Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #41
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Beautiful, I can't wait for the finished project!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ooooh - pocket screws, Irwin clamps ($$$) [/jk]

This is looking a lot bertter than I imagined when I saw the pictures. The stand looks very solid, but I've gotta ask...

What's that tank weigh, empty?

squawkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
What's that tank weigh, empty?
good ???....I was guessing around 75 in the original plan...it weighs in at 63.1lbs with the glass...

possible problem...it's been full of water since x-mas sitting in the cool basement....I have a feeling it may sweat setting in the dinning room come summer... won't know for sure until then

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91209
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=95417
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Everything looks great redswi! Thanks for posting up all your progress!

In terms of sweating, it might only sweat if the corian is still cold when you bring it into the warm house. You can try a little trick I use when moving computers in the winter. If you have a big enough garbage bag (maybe one used for yard clippings?) then put that over the empty tank before you bring it in the house. This will keep the humidity in your house from condensing on the cold surface of the tank while the corian comes up to room temperature. Once it's up to room temperature just take the bag off and you should be good to go.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

I spent the morning at the shop (again) working on the stand.... base and top are now done, ready for finish and final assembly....

...managed to find a door in the overstock pile that is the perfect size...well almost...

...decided yes on a drawer (actually a sliding tray behind the door) ...had time to get the trim for the canopy cut and machined...still trying to figure out the access door and lighting...will probably assemble that next week weekend... then it will be off to staining...

QUICK TIP...when working with wide solid stock, (like the trim that wraps the base, and top) you should place some relief cuts on the back to prevent the piece from curling...
Old 01-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks absolutely beautiful! are you going to paint/stain it?
---
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
---
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
are you going to paint/stain it?
honey stain...followed by a 40 sheen catalyized varnish...(like a satin finish)...

Old 01-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is catalyzed varnish like what is on musical instruments such as guitars? That *beep* is HARD...
Old 01-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Is catalyzed varnish like what is on musical instruments such as guitars?
I don't think it's the same....this stuff from Becker Acroma doesn't have that much buildup....1 coat sanding sealer / 1 coat topcoat...offers a fast drying, durable, chemical resistant finish that looks good to.

sorry, that sounded like a cheap plug, LOL

Old 01-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, guitars don't have build-up either, it would mess with the sound and tone. I am pretty sure it is similar at least. Once I tried to strip an old beater guitar I had to do a custom stain on it, and I tried three different strippers and none could even dull the finish. I mean really, underneath the chemicals the varnish was shiny and new, even after a 24 hour application.

If the finish you use is anything like that, your woodwork is going to last a lifetime!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com